Dual UV sterilizers

DesertReefer51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone running dual sterilizers to handle both Algea and parasites? I'm looking at including a UV into my build and figured since I'm in the planning phase I should explore all possibilities, plus the black Friday sales are a plus. I have an RS XL525 and plan to use a separate pump for the UV plumbed with valves for control to each UV. I plan on pulling and returning to the DT in a closed loop with 2 Pentair 25W UV's.

Appreciate the advice and Happy Thanksgiving

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one for parasites will take care of the algae.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might @lapin be saying that if the flow is slow enough (longer dwell/contact time) for the parasites, then the algae likewise couldn’t stand a chance? (Note that the opposite would not be true, if one were running faster water through— just for algae.)
Is there any evidence that multiple passes on a fast flow doesn’t work for parasites? I guess there must be, however I can’t find it because your view is echoed over and over on the net.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any evidence that multiple passes on a fast flow doesn’t work for parasites? I guess there must be, however I can’t find it because your view is echoed over and over on the net.
I think this is based on manufacturers' recommendations for use in commercial aqua farms. But the parasites that attack cold-water lobsters might not be the same as those in tropical hobby aquaria.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I thought high flow required for solar was due to much faster reproduction rate than parasites. Meaning that if the algae replicates too fast a slow flow may not be effective.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The danger when setting a uv sterilizer for parasites (which requires more contact time hence slower rate) is not getting enough tank turnover to help with algae... algae that passes thru is still handled when it is set for parasites but it may not be handling things quick enough. If you buy a large enough uv or string enough together you can achieve both contact time and turnover as with a larger unit you can increase the flow which relates to turnover; it’s not uncommon to to see multiple sterilizers plumbed in series.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back