Dumb mistake.....

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I turned all my pumps off to get a good look at some corals from the top and being pretty late I walked away not turning them back on. My heater was also on the same switch. So this morning my kids came yellin the fish we’re gone...., yikes!

So I jumped out of bed and realized what I did. The fish were huddled together on the back bottom by the rock base. I look at the temp and cringe as it says 62..... I normally keep it 78.

So I turned everything back on and I’ve got my fingers crossed. I have a lot of corals (lps and softies mostly) in there as well. Surprisingly before I left today the tank was at 68 and almost everything in the tank looked fine. So when I get home this afternoon I’m praying my tank isn’t crashed.

How dumb of me though.......

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I turned all my pumps off to get a good look at some corals from the top and being pretty late I walked away not turning them back on. My heater was also on the same switch. So this morning my kids came yellin the fish we’re gone...., yikes!

So I jumped out of bed and realized what I did. The fish were huddled together on the back bottom by the rock base. I look at the temp and cringe as it says 62..... I normally keep it 78.

So I turned everything back on and I’ve got my fingers crossed. I have a lot of corals (lps and softies mostly) in there as well. Surprisingly before I left today the tank was at 68 and almost everything in the tank looked fine. So when I get home this afternoon I’m praying my tank isn’t crashed.

How dumb of me though.......
if everything looked fine before you left, i think your safe.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have no heat in the house save kerosene. It got really cold a few weeks back, and my tank temp was around the same one morning. Clowns are the only fish; and they were in the center hidden by the rock not moving much. Added a second heater and slowly got temp back up. Now it’s stable at 80 and all is well. No signs of ich or any other stress related issues. I’m sure your fishes will be just fine too, and hopefully the coral as well.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad everything was ok! As ugly as it looks, those are the time you wish you had a backup heater in the DT.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there done that....so many times that it was one of the reasons my husband bought me an apex for Christmas. This way I can push the "feed" button and everything will turn back on automatically. No more forgetting.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I forgot to turn the power on once overnight. Without the surface movement most of my fish past away due to suffocation.:(. I highly recommend an apex to make sure this never happens again.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be just fine, the lack of O2 is more dangerous than the low temps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back