Dumb question, but Valentini Puffer with Sexy Shrimp

CRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently lost my lawnmower blenny and moved my pair of Ocellaris clowns to a new setup. I want to add a new fish to my 30 gallon tank and came across someone saying that the Valentini puffer would be okay around the coral in my tank. I just moved all the hammers to the new setup as well and will be transitioning my tank to be dominated by sps. I do have a Zoa rock as well as a toadstool leather and gorgonians. On top of whether the puffer would be okay with those corals, I need to know if I would have trouble with the puffer eating my colony of sexy shrimp. I currently have 10 of them cruising around my rock flowers and Zoas. I was recommended an alternative fish to add which would be a smaller species from the from the genus Genicanthus.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valentini’s are genuinely pretty coral safe, at least from what I’ve seen especially if they are well fed. I’ve seen them pick at small snails, but surprisingly not hermits. I think if they have a rock flower nem to hide in the shrimps should be fine.
Not sure about SPS. I cannot say if they will or won’t munch. At the Houston aquarium giant reef tank they had a valentini in it, and it had pretty much every type of coral in it.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pygmy Cherub angel would be fine in a 30, and I’ve heard those are some of the most reef safe angels. They’re pretty cool fish.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Valentini has been an angel and full of personality
squirts water for attention

25691215-A185-4F15-9511-AEAB72F05014.jpeg
25691215-A185-4F15-9511-AEAB72F05014.jpeg

OP
OP
CRath

CRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valentini’s are genuinely pretty coral safe, at least from what I’ve seen especially if they are well fed. I’ve seen them pick at small snails, but surprisingly not hermits. I think if they have a rock flower nem to hide in the shrimps should be fine.
Not sure about SPS. I cannot say if they will or won’t munch. At the Houston aquarium giant reef tank they had a valentini in it, and it had pretty much every type of coral in it.
awesome! I feed heavy twice a day so I think I can keep it fed. That puts the coral worries away. NOw I need to decide to risk the sexy shirmp or not. I have two very large rock flower nems and the zoas have lots of hiding spaces on their rock.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 smallish peppermints in the tank and plenty of tiny hermits

and a cleaner

no problems so far

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it’s one of those things where you never know. Established shrimp have a much better chance of not being eaten compared to if you add a stressed shrimp to a tank that already has a puffer.
Personally I probably wouldn’t risk it, but if it’ll work out better for you by moving the animals to one tank it might work out.
Puffers are pickers so they may just randomly taste things. So I wouldn’t be surprised if he bites a coral once and just leaves it alone after that lol.
Also I had a fantastic experience acclimating a valentini puffer for a clients tank. I floated/added water to the bag, and I used first defense by Dr Tim’s as well. I then quickly transferred the puffer to a container with the tank water (I used a glove and scooped him out super quick). He didn’t puff up, and then I just added him with the water into the tank without having him out of the water

OP
OP
CRath

CRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it’s one of those things where you never know. Established shrimp have a much better chance of not being eaten compared to if you add a stressed shrimp to a tank that already has a puffer.
Personally I probably wouldn’t risk it, but if it’ll work out better for you by moving the animals to one tank it might work out.
Puffers are pickers so they may just randomly taste things. So I wouldn’t be surprised if he bites a coral once and just leaves it alone after that lol.
Also I had a fantastic experience acclimating a valentini puffer for a clients tank. I floated/added water to the bag, and I used first defense by Dr Tim’s as well. I then quickly transferred the puffer to a container with the tank water (I used a glove and scooped him out super quick). He didn’t puff up, and then I just added him with the water into the tank without having him out of the water
Awesome. I work at a LFS and I noticed that it takes a lot to make them puff up while catching them. The main reason I don't get the puffer is that I don't have a place for it if it doesn't work out. I cant return the saltwater fish to my place.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I work at a LFS and I noticed that it takes a lot to make them puff up while catching them. The main reason I don't get the puffer is that I don't have a place for it if it doesn't work out. I cant return the saltwater fish to my place.
Oh, I see. That makes sense. Hopefully whatever you decide works out for you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back