Duncan and Mushroom touching?

mjleffler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I currently have a green hairy mushroom from TSA and a Duncan from my LFS growing quite close to each other. Both started from small frags have and have gotten to the point where they’re about to grow into each other. My Duncan is a little sensitive and randomly closes up from time to time for a day, but lately I’ve noticed that the heads closest to to the mushroom close up more often. I’m wondering if the mushroom is capable of stinging the duncan and if I need to relocate the mushroom? I think it’s important to say that it’s not closed up all the time, just every so often, and I would prefer not to move anything if possible. But if people think it’ll have a negative impact on the Duncan, I’ll definitely relocate the mushroom. If that’s the case, what would be the best way to remove the mushroom from the rock? I’ve seen some people suggest a hobby knife for fragging soft coral, but I’ve never attempted it. Thank you

JD_Inshore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to get the whole shroom when you peel it off. If you leave a bit of its foot, it'll grow back in place. Maybe the Duncan will take care of that problem for you though! Lol!

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my green hairy shrooms killed a section of my duncan so I would separate them.

OP
OP
mjleffler

mjleffler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to get the whole shroom when you peel it off. If you leave a bit of its foot, it'll grow back in place. Maybe the Duncan will take care of that problem for you though! Lol!
So should I really just “peel” the mushroom off the rock? Is it that easy??

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I really just “peel” the mushroom off the rock? Is it that easy??

Mushrooms are like anemones they have a foot that attaches to a rock. I have found that you can use the same tricks people use with anemone to make them move, such as increased flow or cold water shot at the foot. I've always found it easier to move and LPS then a softy so would it be possible to move the duncan instead?

OP
OP
mjleffler

mjleffler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms are like anemones they have a foot that attaches to a rock. I have found that you can use the same tricks people use with anemone to make them move, such as increased flow or cold water shot at the foot. I've always found it easier to move and LPS then a softy so would it be possible to move the duncan instead?
I’m not sure, the duncan has grown over its frag plug and attached completely to the rock. However, it’ll definitely be easier to relocate the mushroom since once the duncan is fully extended it takes up a lot more room, so I’d rather move the mushroom. I’ll have to try and find some of these other tricks, the shot of cold water seems like it could work.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back