Duncan Care - What does it need?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this duncan for about 6.5 months. It has 5 heads. The picture on the bottom is from when I got it and the top is a current picture. No new heads have formed but it expands more now than before. In looking at the picture though, I see the tentacles are much longer and thinner than they used to be. Is that good/bad/indifferent? Just wondering if there's something I should be doing that I'm not. I feed reef roids about once a week (though looking to use something that won't affect my po4). Just in the last week, I've started feeding aminos on a daily basis.

Does my duncan look happy? Anything else I should be doing? I had tried moving him up in my tank before and he didn't like the idea so he's stayed on the sandbed. I have a 32g biocube with nanobox reef lights.

1585589754010.png

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks! I wan't sure if the longer/thinner tentacles indicated anything bad.

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very happy. I had a Duncan and it was like 9 months before it ever sprouted new heads. But when it did it went from a single head to about 5. So from mine limited experience, just be patient and it will and when it does it'll multiply decently for you.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed when mine got tilted over at an angle, exposing the stalk to more direct light, a new fleshy spot started growing on the lower part of the skeleton.

I'm starting to think that these can be "layered" like some terrestrial plants can. Where if you pin the plant horizontal, new shoots will pop up out of the stem, and with the case of Duncan's I think subjecting the stalks to more light promotes the growth of new heads.

20200326214314~2.jpg

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I actually just noticed two or three little bumps. Are these possibly new heads forming?

921C8F75-C342-41CB-B9D3-2257CD3D652E.jpeg

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd give an update. The two bumps I saw are definitely new heads, but there was one I couldn't see and it developed into a new head first. And the other two are growing. Fun to watch.

duncan.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back