Duncan Coral Frag Disintergrating

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 24, 2012
Messages
1,289
Reaction score
7,594
Location
Franklin, TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. A new frag to me of two days has disintegrated approximately 60% of its flesh. From the moment it arrived it did not open, and today I flushed out a rotting mess. I consider this to be part of the trade off of buying frags, but still disappointed that it is not doing well. BUT, I came across an interesting article.

https://reefs.com/2017/09/19/new-study-polypless-frags-grow-faster/

A recent study of polypless Duncans growing more heads at a quicker rate, all be it at the expense of mass intrigued me, as I was planning on leaving the remaining Duncan and seeing what might transpire. I was wondering if anyone else has had the experience of a Duncan regenerating from what seemed to be a skeleton? I'm guessing they have a skin that runs down the outside of the skeleton tube, and maybe this will resurrect the Duncan?

Duncans are something new to me, so am inexperienced with them, although they do seem to be a hardy coral, but not sure if they will be this tough.
 
If you see coral skin down inside the center of the coral stalk. You can sometimes get corals grow back If the water conditions are to their liking. I have seen many come back If their is no skin in the center and just skeleton then it is not likely to happen.
Ducan's are really hardy but they like all corals thrive on stable water parameters. I have grown one from a small piece to its current size of a softball.
 
O usually have those issues when the KH vary suddenly and always when going up!
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new