Duncan Coral Frag Disintergrating

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. A new frag to me of two days has disintegrated approximately 60% of its flesh. From the moment it arrived it did not open, and today I flushed out a rotting mess. I consider this to be part of the trade off of buying frags, but still disappointed that it is not doing well. BUT, I came across an interesting article.

https://reefs.com/2017/09/19/new-study-polypless-frags-grow-faster/

A recent study of polypless Duncans growing more heads at a quicker rate, all be it at the expense of mass intrigued me, as I was planning on leaving the remaining Duncan and seeing what might transpire. I was wondering if anyone else has had the experience of a Duncan regenerating from what seemed to be a skeleton? I'm guessing they have a skin that runs down the outside of the skeleton tube, and maybe this will resurrect the Duncan?

Duncans are something new to me, so am inexperienced with them, although they do seem to be a hardy coral, but not sure if they will be this tough.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see coral skin down inside the center of the coral stalk. You can sometimes get corals grow back If the water conditions are to their liking. I have seen many come back If their is no skin in the center and just skeleton then it is not likely to happen.
Ducan's are really hardy but they like all corals thrive on stable water parameters. I have grown one from a small piece to its current size of a softball.

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O usually have those issues when the KH vary suddenly and always when going up!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back