Duncan Coral Mystery

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi there, I have two little Duncan colonies (same types of Duncan) in my nano, and have had them both for about a month. They're right next to each other and are basically treated the same way—similar flow, light, target feedings, etc. However, one has recently started to close up and lose some of its vibrance, while the other Duncan—and all other corals in my tank—is still doing great and is happy. They both looked exactly like the "happy" one 4-5 days ago.

My water parameters look good, I don't see any tissue receding from the "problem" Duncan, I don't notice any pests, and I only have 3 blue-legged hermits, two clown fish, a fire goby, and some snails, so nothing is eating or nipping at it.

Any suggestions on what could be going on? Maybe a parasite or something? I was thinking about maybe giving it a dip in Coral Rx and seeing if that does anything, but also don't know if it's just going through a phase, or might do this when more heads start to grow?

IMG_6757.jpg
IMG_6758.jpg
IMG_6759.jpg

IMG_6760.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, sometimes it takes a month or months before a coral starts to show its distress. It's also closer to the powerhead.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because it's in the same tank doesn't mean everything is the same. Some have already mentioned light, I'll mention flow. Watch the circulation around the colony, isn't excessive?

OP
OP
rhpmiller

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Completely understand about the flow and lighting...

This is the last video I had that showed some of the Duncans and it's from Monday evening. I don't think the flow is too intense, as my Nero 3 is operating between 5-20% power, as well as a picture below from Nov. 4th that shows the Duncan doing fine (I just moved the other one up a bit a few days later).

I'm going to roll with the belief that it's just taken a bit of time to show distress, or something else might be up. I'll try placing it in different part of the tank and see what happens.

Appreciate everyone's input!

Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 7.24.14 PM.png

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphates? If they’re super low, that could be the issue, I also have two Duncan’s and one closed up for around a month and it was because my phosphates were non-existent. The other Duncan was fairly new and so it hadn’t reacted yet (remember that coral react to some changes or issues very slowly, it can take weeks or months for them to visually show something is off). As soon as I started dosing phosphates, it perked back up and has been doing great since. I wouldn’t start dosing phosphates unless you have a prolonged, consistent low or undetectable amount, but that could be something to look out for. That said, it doesn’t look too unhappy, but there’s definitely something bothering it. I wouldn’t remove it and dip it quite yet, that can be very stressful. I would keep testing and log the results, maybe slowly lower or increase the flow (they should be in constant, gentle motion), and also try to ensure it’s getting unobstructed light (you want to try to avoid moving it, but if that’s the only way to get it more light, you may have to). So long as you’re not seeing any tissue recession it’s okay, just slightly unhappy.

OP
OP
rhpmiller

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you dose for coral food?
Red Sea Reef Energy AB+ for aminos and then Reef Roids, usually 2-3x per week. I tried out some LPS pellets a bit ago, so maybe too much food or different kind that caused the reaction.

I'm going to to hold back on feeding for a few days and monitor Nitrates/Phosphates and see if there are any fluctuations and how it reacts. If still the same, I might move on to moving it to give it some more light.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it may be getting less light...or at least different light. Just a thought.
More light and flow will produce the whisker effect. Lower light and flow makes them stubby. Some of mine half the heads will close for a few days for no reason and the other half of the same colony will be flowing in the current. Good luck. Your duncans will grow fast when happy.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I have two little Duncan colonies (same types of Duncan) in my nano, and have had them both for about a month. They're right next to each other and are basically treated the same way—similar flow, light, target feedings, etc. However, one has recently started to close up and lose some of its vibrance, while the other Duncan—and all other corals in my tank—is still doing great and is happy. They both looked exactly like the "happy" one 4-5 days ago.

My water parameters look good, I don't see any tissue receding from the "problem" Duncan, I don't notice any pests, and I only have 3 blue-legged hermits, two clown fish, a fire goby, and some snails, so nothing is eating or nipping at it.

Any suggestions on what could be going on? Maybe a parasite or something? I was thinking about maybe giving it a dip in Coral Rx and seeing if that does anything, but also don't know if it's just going through a phase, or might do this when more heads start to grow?

IMG_6757.jpg
IMG_6758.jpg
IMG_6759.jpg

IMG_6760.jpg
What is this? Does it have sweepers? Light and flow do look dissimilar. Flow on another side of the rock could be way different.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220127-124244_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220127-124244_Chrome.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 37

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this? Does it have sweepers? Light and flow do look dissimilar. Flow on another side of the rock could be way different.
That’s a Blastomussa merletti. No sweepers, non-aggressive (that’s not true, they do have nematocysts, but comparatively they’re basically non-aggressive), definitely wouldn’t be the cause of the Duncan not fully extending.

OP
OP
rhpmiller

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both Duncans ended up melting, even the one in better light. I moved them a few times and tried out different spots, but for some reason they just don't like my tank.

All of my other corals are growing and thriving--softies, LPS, and even a couple SPS--so maybe Duncans just aren't meant to be :(

OP
OP
rhpmiller

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both Duncans ended up melting, even the one in better light. I moved them a few times and tried out different spots, but for some reason they just don't like my tank.

All of my other corals are growing and thriving--softies, LPS, and even a couple SPS--so maybe Duncans just aren't meant to be :(
They've been replaced with some more Blasto Merlettis, since they seem to like me. Ha.

IMG_7101.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp, old thread or not, I think the problem is that the tank was started September 19th, and by November he's got all kinds of different corals in it already. So, I'm going to go with it being a new and immature tank that is still stabilizing. I'd be shocked if you didn't lose some more corals during the next few months. Hope that doesn't happen though.

Trizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i have the same problem my Duncans were purchased at 2 heads grew out to 21 now there all melting and all my parameters are spot on just received my icp test back all good and I also am a reef moonshiner Duncans are not meant to be in my tank SPS on the other hand and leathers and softies are all good go figure?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the same problem my Duncans were purchased at 2 heads grew out to 21 now there all melting and all my parameters are spot on just received my icp test back all good and I also am a reef moonshiner Duncans are not meant to be in my tank SPS on the other hand and leathers and softies are all good go figure?
I’ve recently had some Duncan’s melt, also. One was getting stung by a chalice, but the other just melted after doing well for 8 months or so. Everything else doing great.

I don’t think that this tank is too young to have this many corals at 4-5 months. Hardy corals can go in as soon as the tank is cycled. If you can keep your parameters stable, I don’t see the issue. I wouldn’t recommend anemones or more sensitive/difficult corals in such a young tank, but there are tons of corals that can do just fine in an immature tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back