Duncan Coral Stem Browning??

Levib.Lenhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! So I am still new to the hobby and recently inherited a new (to me) established reef tank. For the first few days my Duncan coral looked beautiful and was fully open. But starting yesterday afternoon it’s only opening about half way and the stem has brown on the lower part. I’m not sure if I’m just now noticing since it’s not fully open and I can see the stem now or what’s going on. Any ideas or tips would be helpful!
My parameters:
Am: 0.2 (I’m doing daily water changes to lower it)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 17
pH: 7.8
Temp: 75° F
Spec. Grav: 1.026

595483F1-BE79-4EA3-A10F-779667ECFE9E.jpeg

Coral Me Impressed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tanks are dirty in comparison to the ocean. Typically the the skeleton is only white from new growth. Over time it will darken. As long as it's not the tissue it's nothing to worry about.

DirkDigler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tanks are dirty in comparison to the ocean. Typically the the skeleton is only white from new growth. Over time it will darken. As long as it's not the tissue it's nothing to worry about.
Thanks, late on this reply but dealing with the same situation. My Duncan is fully open but doesn't have the same color as before not as eye grabbing with it's green coloration. It is now more opaque in color but again...fully open.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back