A5B03FCC-45E4-4159-9801-4E6DA81B7330.jpeg

Any ideas why they do this?

Ding2daDong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give us some more info? How long this has been going on? How recently this was fragged? What are your tank parameters? etc can help us give a differential diagnosis.

-Matthew

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning toward this frag not being healthy.
When mine closes up, the skeleton is still covered with tissue.

How old is the frag?
What are your tank parameters?
do you feed it? How and how orften?
How old are the frags next to it?

This is mine when closed.
6EEA43D7-B562-46CA-A5FD-2A2AF0E5BFD2.jpeg

OP
OP
E

eyeguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one day so far,, Alk is 7.73 raising it currently to 8.5 I reduced lighting to mostly blue a around 30% with Ecotech Radion X 3 over 125 gallon tank. not sure of Phosphate lvl currently but running GFO reactor with fresh GFO. Calc is a bit high at 568 no more dosing waiting for it to get to 440 ish. Salinity is 35 currently.

Can you give us some more info? How long this has been going on? How recently this was fragged? What are your tank parameters? etc can help us give a differential diagnosis.

-Matthew

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how recently it was fragged, bought it from LFS
How long have you it?
How long ago did it start doing this?
was it extending before calcium went too high?
Mine was not very happy when calcium was high...

OP
OP
E

eyeguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure i have not dosed in a couple of days due to Neptune DDS leaking air in the lines and it is out for RMA with Neptuen

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure i have not dosed in a couple of days due to Neptune DDS leaking air in the lines and it is out for RMA with Neptuen
Not sure how we can help, need a little more detail to go in right direction...
I wish you good luck with it. Also I think you are doing the right thing letting calcium go down slowly rather than a quick fix.

adromero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if this helps, but mine grew in a 70 gallon. Then I added a gyro pump and it was too much flow so it retracted. I then but it on a frag rack in my 34 gallon where it was happy and grew another two heads. About three weeks ago I put it on the rocks near my elegance and it retracted. I now moved it back to my frag rack and it is happy once again.

I believe flow and placement from aggressive corals may be important. Your numbers do not sound bad especially for LPS. I also believe duncans are pretty tolerant of different levels of lighting. I bought this piece two years ago with only two heads.

93A9A946-2107-4882-AF83-61D91F74879C.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would first double check your salinity. Had this happen more than once due to high salinity from false reading on my instruments. Take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them verify for you.
Moderate light and water flow also essential in addition to feeding 2x per week.

BCarr3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe being stung by the surrounding corals at night?

Niteowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine retract when new gfo or any reduction of phos for that matter is to fast. This is how mine retract. 24 hrs later they are hack to normal.
5E805284-CBC8-46D3-A9E4-7CE7A3301D9B.jpeg
5128849B-6E76-4205-AD89-E32DBB595A25.jpeg

OP
OP
E

eyeguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning toward this frag not being healthy.
When mine closes up, the skeleton is still covered with tissue.

How old is the frag?
What are your tank parameters?
do you feed it? How and how orften?
How old are the frags next to it?

This is mine when closed.
6EEA43D7-B562-46CA-A5FD-2A2AF0E5BFD2.jpeg
I would first double check your salinity. Had this happen more than once due to high salinity from false reading on my instruments. Take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them verify for you.
Moderate light and water flow also essential in addition to feeding 2x per week.
I checked with my refractometer, It reads 1.027 I brought it up from 1.021 over 2 weeks by letting evaporation occur and refilling with slightly higher Saltwater.

Frags are from 3/1/2020 purchase from LFS all of them (9) at the same time.

Pictures on my other threads for coral ID help shows them on day one or two in my tank.
Need to check Phos and Nitrate lvls but tank is 7 years old and I have a BRS GFO and Carbon reactor running although I need to test.

Alk is 7.8 ish as of this morning and Calc is 567 a little high but should reduce with no Dosing over the next couple of weeks.

I bought some Reef Chili from BRS and have fed them twice this week.

I adjusted lighting a bit, I am using Ecotech Radon's x 3 at 30 % @ 18k frags are mounted on back side of tank @ 1/3 the way down for around 10 hours ramping down to deep blue for 3 hours.

Never really had much luck with Coral, would like for that to change.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I checked with my refractometer, It reads 1.027 I brought it up from 1.021 over 2 weeks by letting evaporation occur and refilling with slightly higher Saltwater.

Frags are from 3/1/2020 purchase from LFS all of them (9) at the same time.

Pictures on my other threads for coral ID help shows them on day one or two in my tank.
Need to check Phos and Nitrate lvls but tank is 7 years old and I have a BRS GFO and Carbon reactor running although I need to test.

Alk is 7.8 ish as of this morning and Calc is 567 a little high but should reduce with no Dosing over the next couple of weeks.

I bought some Reef Chili from BRS and have fed them twice this week.

I adjusted lighting a bit, I am using Ecotech Radon's x 3 at 30 % @ 18k frags are mounted on back side of tank @ 1/3 the way down for around 10 hours ramping down to deep blue for 3 hours.

Never really had much luck with Coral, would like for that to change.
You just produced the answer to the issues. . . . .
Salt a tad high, bring it down to 1.025-1.026. Hopefully you did not just pour in high salinity seawater. Calcium yes a bit high and no dose will work, and alk is in safe range. Lights may be a bit bright.. . . reduce white intensity a little and you should have Happy Duncans

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not positive this is you issue but it looks like its awfully close to the other corals and duncans have a really weak sting so its possible when it was fully extended it brushed up against the hammer coral or it could have extended some sweeper tentacles (euphylia have a ver powerful sting). I would first try separating the coral by 7 or so inches to let them have some room to grow.

OP
OP
E

eyeguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just produced the answer to the issues. . . . .
Salt a tad high, bring it down to 1.025-1.026. Hopefully you did not just pour in high salinity seawater. Calcium yes a bit high and no dose will work, and alk is in safe range. Lights may be a bit bright.. . . reduce white intensity a little and you should have Happy Duncans
Just one question, By adding slightly higher Saltwater over 2 weeks, I thought that was a safe way to increase Salinity.
Total was about 8 gallons per week in 2 doses. Did not seem to bother any of the other livestock. Hopefully this Duncan will recover, do you agree with moving it to a more remote location away from the other corals?

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one question, By adding slightly higher Saltwater over 2 weeks, I thought that was a safe way to increase Salinity.
Total was about 8 gallons per week in 2 doses. Did not seem to bother any of the other livestock. Hopefully this Duncan will recover, do you agree with moving it to a more remote location away from the other corals?
That is the correct way to raise salinity. You likely caused no harm by doing that. I would try moving the duncan down to the sand bed in low-moderate flow away from everything else and monitor it for a week. This is what I am doing with mine currently and it's starting to peek out a little more every day.

OP
OP
E

eyeguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give it a shot, it was just barely peeking out this morning. I readjusted lighting more blue less white and will move to bottom of tank. See what happens.

Back