imarino326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I’ve had a tank for sometime now and just put in this new duncan coral, and I’m wondering what the exact species/family of duncan I have. My friend has one and it’s whiskers are very long but mine are very short. I’ve read stuff about flow and all that, but I’ve changed it around and nothings happened so I’m confident it’s the species. If anyone could ID or give me any suggestions/insight on what I have it would be much appreciated. The image is below if anyone could help me:)
0E8F313D-6396-4759-AB2C-CBCCEC6158B4.jpeg

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High flow long tentacles low flow short tentacles. Corals take time tp adjust. It won't happen over night. Weeks not days.

Welcome to r2r

OP
OP
imarino326

imarino326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High flow long tentacles low flow short tentacles. Corals take time tp adjust. It won't happen over night. Weeks not days.

Welcome to r2r
Well what kind of flow do I want for a duncan?
My duncan (Duncanopsamia sp.) went from long to short tentacles when I changed the flow in the system. You may be having the same issue
is higher water flow better?

KTrevino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say generally they do better with more flow- like medium. Not direct. As stated before the flow effects tentacles. One isn't better than the other, but more flow is more common.

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also had a duncan that would fluctuate between extended and then contracted tentacles without any changes to flow in my tank. Long story short is I'm not sure flow is the only thing I would focus on. Things like how long the coral has been in your system, how other corals are doing, how long your system has been up and generally more about your tank set up and flow is probably more important the the duncan "species". I think there is only one true species name.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans are pretty undemanding IME. Lot's of flow the tentacles are usually short and blunt, less flow they're long and stringy. Not that one is better than the other though. Voracious eaters too. What's really cool is when a $10 dollar frag/one polyp fills in. Almost looks like an Elegance coral. GL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
imarino326

imarino326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say generally they do better with more flow- like medium. Not direct. As stated before the flow effects tentacles. One isn't better than the other, but more flow is more common.
i shall try that

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back