Duncan's wont open fully

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for the past 5 days my Duncan's have just been angry. Color looks good, flesh is fine and not receding, but it will not inflate/extend fully. I DID have to move it about a week ago, but it was open for a few days after just fine. Literally only moved it about 2 inches. Just got it to a slightly lower flow area as I was increasing flow for some SPS.

Parameters:
Tank: 20g IM (setup 1/1/22)
Temp: 78-79 (inkbird controlled)
Sg: 1.025 (held steady by ATO)
Alk: 8.9-9.3 (tested and dosed daily, started that once the Duncan's looked angry)
Ca: 400-500 (disclaimer: I don't trust my test kit and have a new one coming, should be here in a day, can verify numbers. It may actually be lower but I've been dosing to try and keep up)
NO3: 5-10
PO4: 0.04 - 0.09
Mg: Waiting on test kit
pH: Waiting on monitor

Didn't realize I was missing a few test kits and monitors until this started so ordered those, just waiting on them. Will update once I get that info confirmed. I also did a 10% W/C yesterday just to try and keep up trace elements and my Ca since I really don't know where that is. My salifert kit shows it well over 530 on fresh mix in reef crystals, and after a week of no dosing on the tank is was still showing 500+. Ordered a Red Sea Pro kit to try and confirm numbers. I'm also switching to a higher end synthetic salt just for consistency if nothing else. Never planned on using RC long term, nothing against it. Just know people who have success with a brand I'd like to try.

Could they just be that angry from a minor move for this long? Just odd to me they inflated and looked great for a few days after, then just retracted. I DO see a baby on one side at least, not sure if they close up when they're splitting/popping new heads. New to LPS, usually just stuck with SPS and Z/P's until this tank :)

Appreciate any input and will try to put up a pic here in a bit.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back