Durso and Open top noise

SaltyWaitress

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about an overflow with 3 pipes, full siphon, durso or open top, and emergency. My question is about the durso or open top secondary drain.

For the secondary drain I have seen people either do the curving durso or just a pipe cut flat off leaving just an open pipe to set the water level. Is the durso less noisy? ANy other pros or cons to the open top or durso? Thanks everyone

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No durso is obviously simpler and in theory it is just as quiet, but in reality I find that the durso allows more margin for error when adjusting the gate valve on your primary drain. You Don't need to be as exact when tuning the valve to have a quiet tank.

Without a durso you will like be adjusting the valve a bit more. At least I was before adding a durso.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What setup are you looking to use? In-tank overflow box (through the bottom), over-the-top overflow, or through the back glass?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3 pipe system is referred to as the Beanimal. It has a siphon that does mostly all of the work, a trickle, and a dry emergency.

The trickle drain should be moving so little water that it shouldn't make a noise.

That said, the specific Bean plans require that the trickle be set a certain way so that it can become a siphon if the primary drain gets plugged. So I would set it up as intended, with the bend and hole on top with the tubing.

OP
OP
S

SaltyWaitress

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3 pipe system is referred to as the Beanimal. It has a siphon that does mostly all of the work, a trickle, and a dry emergency.

The trickle drain should be moving so little water that it shouldn't make a noise.

That said, the specific Bean plans require that the trickle be set a certain way so that it can become a siphon if the primary drain gets plugged. So I would set it up as intended, with the bend and hole on top with the tubing.
I saw someone set up the secondary as a plane open top (not durso) and he had some reason for this but I cannot recall. Anyone know advantages or disadvantages to these options?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw someone set up the secondary as a plane open top (not durso) and he had some reason for this but I cannot recall. Anyone know advantages or disadvantages to these options?
It would be easier that way, but an upon top can't be a siphon unless it's low, so you lose redundancy of the bean design.

OP
OP
S

SaltyWaitress

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be easier that way, but an upon top can't be a siphon unless it's low, so you lose redundancy of the bean design.
You dont want the secondary to be a full siphon, just to set the water level, thats what I read, is that correct?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont want the secondary to be a full siphon, just to set the water level, thats what I read, is that correct?
It can become a siphon if the primary gets plugged, if set up correctly. But under normal operation, it takes a trickle of water and will be the normal height of the water in the overflow.

There are different ways to skin this cat, but a Bean is set up a specific way, and it's arguably the *best.

OP
OP
S

SaltyWaitress

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can become a siphon if the primary gets plugged, if set up correctly. But under normal operation, it takes a trickle of water and will be the normal height of the water in the overflow.

There are different ways to skin this cat, but a Bean is set up a specific way, and it's arguably the *best.
As an open top it would become a full siphon if the water level rose over it no?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an open top it would become a full siphon if the water level rose over it no?
It can only achieve a full siphon if it's submerged enough - at least an inch with low flow - otherwise it'll keep sucking air from the surface. And now it's not a Bean Animal, but rather you've turned pipe #2 into the emergency line, making it a Herbie.
In order for line #3 to be of any use you'd need a fairly tall back box, and the weir flow will most likely be noisy.
If you don't want to setup a proper Bean just use a Herbie.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back