Durso vs. Herbie

cmalley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions needed:
Recently purchased a 300 gallon Planet aquarium. I had them drill 2- 1 3/4” drains and 2- 1 1/2” returns. I had planned on installing 2 Durso drains. My question is: Wouldni be better off installing 1 Herbie? Or would that not provide enough drain. Thanks in advance.

DD138463-4E61-42B6-8C8F-E86684149E75.jpeg F36BBE54-AE66-4EBA-A334-97600293322B.jpeg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those the actual drilled hole sizes or are they the bulkhead sizes that your drilled holes can accommodate?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like your holes will accommodate 1” bulkheads for the drains and 3/4” bulkheads for the returns. What return pump are you planning on using? How much turnover do you want going through your sump?

OP
OP
cmalley

cmalley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as much flow as possible I guess. It going to be a mixed reef. My display is 300 gallon and my sump is 50 gallons and I have the Vectra L2 return pump.

OP
OP
cmalley

cmalley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as much flow as possible I guess. It going to be a mixed reef My display is 300 gallon and my sump is 50 gallons and I have the Vectra L2 return pump.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would generally expect that you would be limited to about 600-700 gph with a 1' full siphon and two 3/4" returns (assuming you use the other 1" as an emergency). You will probably be limited more by the 3/4" returns than the 1" full siphon. If you went over the top or drilled the back for the returns, you could get probably get closer to 1000 gph by adding a 3/4' full siphon, but I am not sure how much you flow that internal overflow box can really handle.

You will not get very much flow from a single 3/4" return for a 300 gal t

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why any aquarium builder, particularly in that size range, would still use 3/4” bulkheads is beyond me. All 1” at a minimum, with 1 1/2” even for a couple of them. I guess I’d use one of the 1” bulkheads as a siphon and the other as the open channel. Depending upon your goals for return flow, I suppose you could use one of the 3/4” bulkheads as the return with a pressure rated pump and then the other three as bean drains. 3/4” siphon drain is probably 500-600 gph max. Either way you’re going to need a pressure pump with 3/4” returns otherwise you’ll be lucky to get 500:gph. Kinda lame. Planet aquarium bottoms are PVC if memory serves .... can you overdrill bigger holes?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the hole sizes available, relative to your tank volume, I’d go Herbie as you have no choice but to use both of the 3/4” bulkheads for returns to maintain adequate flow for your 300 gallon tank.

Another option could be to drill two returns on the rear pane of glass for a couple of returns on the back wall. Of course this is provided that the back pane of glass is not tempered. If that is a possibility, then you can set up a Beananimal with your existing holes.

If you’re uncomfortable drilling and really want a Beananimal, then a couple of up and over returns are always a possibility.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a tank like that really should have a long 36-60" ghost type overflow from Modular Marine or Exotic Marine. You would have to cover those holes and drill the back, but you would have a far superior system.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ cmalley
Your bigger holes are 1” bulkhead, your smaller holes are 3/4. That’s for schedule 40 (thickness) bulkheads.
You can get 1600 gph safely and quietly down your two 1” drains, combined.
You should shoot for 3-5x display tank volume per hour turnover, so you’re good.
Also think you only need one return, maybe use the other one fir emergency . Could also drill one of the small holes bigger for a typical bean animal
Nice set up, keep the pics coming

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can upsize the 1" drain plumbing to 1-1/2" or even 2" after the bulkheads (below the box) to increase full siphon velocity. Then a Herbie is all you need and use the 2 x 3/4" holes for return plumbing

danzig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why any aquarium builder, particularly in that size range, would still use 3/4” bulkheads is beyond me. All 1” at a minimum, with 1 1/2” even for a couple of them. I guess I’d use one of the 1” bulkheads as a siphon and the other as the open channel. Depending upon your goals for return flow, I suppose you could use one of the 3/4” bulkheads as the return with a pressure rated pump and then the other three as bean drains. 3/4” siphon drain is probably 500-600 gph max. Either way you’re going to need a pressure pump with 3/4” returns otherwise you’ll be lucky to get 500:gph. Kinda lame. Planet aquarium bottoms are PVC if memory serves .... can you overdrill bigger holes?
Did he say 1 3/4” as in inch and 3/4 .. maybe a you misread?
Edit: now i see.. after bulkhead is installed you lose ID size

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can upsize the 1" drain plumbing to 1-1/2" or even 2" after the bulkheads (below the box) to increase full siphon velocity. Then a Herbie is all you need and use the 2 x 3/4" holes for return plumbing

I would think that if you upsize the plumbing to a larger diameter after the smaller bulkhead size, that you would make it more difficult to purge all the air out in order to create a full siphon, no?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that if you upsize the plumbing to a larger diameter after the smaller bulkhead size, that you would make it more difficult to purge all the air out in order to create a full siphon, no?
I upsized mine from 1-1/2 bulkheads to 2" plumbing right below the back box. It purges quite quickly. My main drain is below the sump waterline, as it should be.
I can't quote #s but my foggy memory remembers something about the larger diameter pipe creating more suction.
I can say for certain it's able to flow more than 1-1/2" pipe.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel I should give more info - how my plumbing relates to your's is different.
There are sites/threads you can find where you will see calculations for flow/pipe sizes.
There is much info out there if you take the time. I did it over 4 years ago so can't steer you to the exact reading I found.

An example is in this thread

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back