Dwarf angel in 60 gallon reef

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to add an angel to my established tank (4 years), but i have the following coral and am wondering which fish people have had success with.
Torch (over 30 heads), ricordeas, rfa’s, fiji leather, long polyp toad stools (all small). Possibly going to add a hammer and frogspawn depend on how things go.
i am interested in a venustus, but am also looking at potters, multicolour, cherub, flameback (brazilian better than african?), or rusty

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most reef-safe of the dwarfs are the Coral beauty and Cherub angel. Most others have a bigger chance of developing a taste for corals. But there is still a small risk involved with any dwarf angel.
Good luck and God bless you!

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The paracentropyge are quite difficult fish to be successful with, but very rewarding. I love my venusta but it is definitely not the most outgoing of angelfish, so if you want one that is out and about alot and is not very difficult then I would recommend going with one of the others on your list. The venusta followed by potters are more difficult than the rest you listed, cherubs can get a little mean, rusty would be a bit more risky with corals than the others listed in my experience, other than that it is largely personal aesthetic preference.

Few pics of my venusta. (Centropyge was somewhat recently discovered to be feminine so Venustus is no longer a correct name)
IMG_5278.jpg

IMG_5370.jpg

IMG_5375.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg

Luis1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had incredible luck with my orange back dwarf

Billmone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 54 gallon bow tank with many corals: mostly LPS (torches, hammers, acans, blastoma, duncans, and many others), softies (xenia, zoas, mushrooms, and leathers), and a few SPS (birdsnest and psammocora). I also have a RBT anemone, pair of snowflake clowns, starry blenny, six-line wrasse, blue damsel, neon dottyback, yellow watchman goby (paired with a tiger pistol shrimp), and a coral beauty and some other invertebrates including harlequin shrimp. Initially, I was a bit worried about the aquarium being too small for the coral beauty because it was swimming all over the place. After a few days it calmed down and is now doing great. The one issue I had was about three months after I got it, I went out of the country and had a friend looking after the aquarium. To be on the safe side regarding nitrates and phosphates, I probably slightly underfed the fish. Well, I believe this led to the coral beauty devouring my favorite zoas (about 100 heads of sunny D's). I learned from that not to underfeed the fish, so it's a balancing act of underfeeding/overfeeding. Since I've changed the feedings, the coral beauty hasn't touched other zoas. I've had the aquarium for a little over three years and the coral beauty for about a year. Hopefully, my experience helps a bit in you making a decision.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably go cherub, I have a flame and a cherub in 125 G and have tried 3 others that all liked my corals!

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cherub and he is so entertaining. Definitely the most active fish in the tank. I was worried for the first few weeks, watching him constantly as he eyed everything up. So far so good! He hasn't taken a liking to ant Corals.

OP
OP
T

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The paracentropyge are quite difficult fish to be successful with, but very rewarding. I love my venusta but it is definitely not the most outgoing of angelfish, so if you want one that is out and about alot and is not very difficult then I would recommend going with one of the others on your list. The venusta followed by potters are more difficult than the rest you listed, cherubs can get a little mean, rusty would be a bit more risky with corals than the others listed in my experience, other than that it is largely personal aesthetic preference.

Few pics of my venusta. (Centropyge was somewhat recently discovered to be feminine so Venustus is no longer a correct name)
IMG_5278.jpg

IMG_5370.jpg

IMG_5375.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg
I am ok with a fish that isn't super active. I loved my nocturnus (circus) goby, and he very rarely ventured more than 6" in any direction. I have a 10 gallon nuvo that I us eto get the fish to eat before putting them in the display. hopefully with these guys being captive bred now they will be easier to keep from a feeding stand point

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back