Dwarf Angel Popularity Ranking (A to D)

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like your experiences / opinions on which of the Centropyge / Paracentropyge angels are the most popular. This is for data-gathering purposes and meant to be fun. I will give mine (A most, D least, E borderline unobtainable / unobtainable):

A-
Coral Beauty (C. Bispinosa)
Flame (C. Loricula)
African Flameback (C. Acanthops)
Brazilian Flameback (C. Aurantonotus)- if it was more readily available
Atlantic Cherub (C. Argi)
Potter’s (C. Potteri)

B-
Multi-Bar (P. Multifasciata)
Purple Masked (P. Venusta)
Japanese Dwarf (C. Interrupta)- if not for the price
Golden (C. Aurantia)

C-
Lemonpeel (C. Flavissima)
Bicolor (C. Bicolor)
Eibli (C. Eibli)
Multicolor (C. Multicolor)
Colin’s (C. Colini)

D-
Rusty (C. Ferrugata)
Fisher’s (C. Fisheri)
Pacific Pygmy (C. Flavicauda)
Herald’s (C. Heraldi)
Keyhole (C. Tibicen)
Multi-Spined (C. Multispinus)
Yellow Fin (C. Flavipectoralis)
Half-Black (C. Vrolikii)
Midnight (C. Nox

E-
Peppermint (P. Boylei)
Narcosis (C. Narcosis)
Easter Island (C. Hotumatua)
Resplendent (C. Resplendens)- for sure an A if available
Deborah’s (C. Deborae)- new species, have seen a few listed for sale in Hong Kong but no one seems to have this species
Cream (C. Nigrocella)
Nahackyi (C. Nahackyi)
Mauritius Blue (C. Debelius)

Hard to place:
Shephard’s (C. Shepardi)- is it a legit species? Or does it simply represent multi-generational hybridization between the Flame and Rusty?

The Flame could be S-tier (for those of you familiar with Japanese video game rankings), for many it’s the icon for Centropyge.

Andrew Sandler’s had a pair of Narcosis for over a decade. There’s a couple Japanese hobbyists with long-lived Peppermints and one guy with a Debelius for over a decade. It does seem lots of rare species make it to Japan more often than North America / Europe.
This is a great list! Thanks for putting this together. There were quite a few that I weren't even aware of listed. You can probably also add C. Joculator to the E list. It might be cool to do a poll, just to see which dwarf angels people are keeping on this forum to see which are more popular that way too.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome, I currently have two lavender tangs, two clowns , two yellow tail blue damsels, 1 yellow clown goby, 1 purple stripe dottback. the lemon peel is great she s not shy and swims everywhere . she will slap u with her tail if u get too close to her. she is more aggressive than a yellow tang

Love lemonpeels. Feel like I don't see them in tanks much. My experience with them hasn't been too successful. I have a flameback angel who eats sps, also have a flame coming next month.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With lemon peels and most reef fish they need a few caves to sleep in and also they need to be fed 3-5 small feeding through the day as well as feeding nori and some sponge . I have sponge in my tank and I keep some rock in my sump when it fills with sponge I place it in my display for the lemon peel. as far as nipping goes I haven't lost any corals due to the lemon peel

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here s a pic . couldn't get the video to load . Lemon Peel

Attachments

• 20221225_122337.jpg
    20221225_122337.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 37

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that the coral beauty angelfish is the winner in popularity, even more than a bicolor angelfish. In recent years I have seen that Singapore angelfish and rusty angel have become less available here in Mexico, it seems to be some import issues.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first fish I bought for any of my tanks was a rehomed multicolor. It's a beauty, and still doing well in that 65g RSM250, along with a tibicen angel. I picked up a pacific cherub angel in October, but that's still sitting in a quarantine tank (and doing well).

I tried a bicolor, but couldn't get it to eat.

The species I see offered most frequently for sale in Canada:

1. coral beauty (captive bred)
2. lemonpeel (captive bred)
3. flame
4. flameback
5. bicolor

I have never seen centropyge interruptus up for sale, although I've seen multicolor, midnight, potter's, eibli, half-black, golden, and odd other angel all around, here and there, on occasion.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like even captive bred multibars are hard to keep alive, I’ve tried everything and even though they eat fine they still go after a few months

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a small bi color angel that is in QT no meds for about 3 weeks now. eating good no signs of disease. still monitoring

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bicolor and its my favorie because i went to university of michigan and it is their colors but most beautiful is flame.

Btw not reef safe at all. Nips at most of my corals but he is a cool fish.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO there is no prettier fish than the flame angel. Here is my male, I am working on introducing a couple of females to him in the future.
D4185F6F-E806-484C-9C27-A24D49AB27DA.jpeg
Ooo, can't wait to see that. I can't imagine much sicker than a harem of flame angels. Please share if you do!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back