Dwarf angel questions

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a coral beauty Angel. Very peaceful. Thankfully isn't a coral nipper because I feed generously. I was wondering if its all possible to house a midnight (nox) angel with him? I was reading about how its not a good idea to combine two drawfs angels but I figured I'd ask. If its a no, what else might be a good tank mate? So far I have a scopas tang (my favorite) a melanurus wrasse and a pair of maroon clowns. I wanna try to find something either really dark or really light colored because all my current fish are darker shades.

Would a pearlscale butterfly be a good option? I've heard they're awful in a reef so I'm curious.

I don't really want any damsels or anything really aggressive.

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the Pearlscale. There like a Copperband. Hard to get to eat and stay eating. I’ve tried two with no success.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably depends a little in the dimensions.

I've heard of success in mixing dwarf angels in a standard 75 or 90, if added at the same time. A 120-125 is probably closer to ideal.

I wouldn't try the butterfly with any coral that you care about.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its possible but with two they may fight and it could end very poorly. Multiples increase your odds but not sure you have the real estate for three dwarf angels. An acclimation box may increase your odds.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If memory serves me correctly the Nox is considered to be one of the more aggressive dwarfs, so I wouldn't recommend it. My CB is pretty well behaved as well, but the moment I show it a mirror it goes nuts and starts attacking the glass. This might sound crazy but maybe try putting a picture or video of a Nox up to the tank for a while and see how your CB responds. Obviously it won't tell you how the Nox would react but it would give you some kind of idea of how your established CB will respond to a new Dwarf Angel without you spending a dime or going through the hassle of having to deal with aggressive fish. Incidentally this is how my CB responded when I put a mirror up next to the side of my tank:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never kept a nox, but most other dwarfs will coexist with enough space (and food). I kept three in my old 125; have five in my current 450, including a flame pair.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never kept a nox, but most other dwarfs will coexist with enough space (and food). I kept three in my old 125; have five in my current 450, including a flame pair.

True, but did you add them at the same time and have you tried it in a 4-5 foot long tank?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my old 12o (not 125 as I had said) was a 4’ tank .... and they were not added concurrently. Though, even back then, I was using an acclimation box.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also worth mentioning, aren't nox known to be big time coral eaters along with being really big for a dwarf and mean?

you could try that pygmy angel that's mostly black (Centropyge flavicauda). not sure how that would coexist with a coral beauty, though. nor what kind of coral eating proclivities it may have

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably depends a little in the dimensions.

I've heard of success in mixing dwarf angels in a standard 75 or 90, if added at the same time. A 120-125 is probably closer to ideal.

I wouldn't try the butterfly with any coral that you care about.

Its possible but with two they may fight and it could end very poorly. Multiples increase your odds but not sure you have the real estate for three dwarf angels. An acclimation box may increase your odds.

If memory serves me correctly the Nox is considered to be one of the more aggressive dwarfs, so I wouldn't recommend it. My CB is pretty well behaved as well, but the moment I show it a mirror it goes nuts and starts attacking the glass. This might sound crazy but maybe try putting a picture or video of a Nox up to the tank for a while and see how your CB responds. Obviously it won't tell you how the Nox would react but it would give you some kind of idea of how your established CB will respond to a new Dwarf Angel without you spending a dime or going through the hassle of having to deal with aggressive fish. Incidentally this is how my CB responded when I put a mirror up next to the side of my tank:

My 112g is 5' long. If a second dwarf doesn't work out, would a pearlscale butterfly work? Currently I just have zoas. I plan to move them all out to a different tank so corals won't be an issue.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just know my tang won't like another tang, and my maroon clowns don't like any other clowns. My wrasse seems to get along with everything. Would another wrasse be an option? Does anyone know what melanurus wrasse behaviour is towards same or similar wrasses?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's a great idea

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just know my tang won't like another tang, and my maroon clowns don't like any other clowns. My wrasse seems to get along with everything. Would another wrasse be an option? Does anyone know what melanurus wrasse behaviour is towards same or similar wrasses?
Wrasses do ok with different wrasse species. Don't mix two of the same family if that makes sense.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses do ok with different wrasse species. Don't mix two of the same family if that makes sense.

So could I do a Christmas wrasse with my melanurus? Or are they too closely related?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So could I do a Christmas wrasse with my melanurus? Or are they too closely related?
Christmas are closely related. Sometimes mixing halicheores works fine, other times it doesn’t work out. With maroon clowns being so aggressive you’re a bit limited.

Pearlscale may work, as mentioned they can be difficult.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back