OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas are closely related. Sometimes mixing halicheores works fine, other times it doesn’t work out. With maroon clowns being so aggressive you’re a bit limited.

Pearlscale may work, as mentioned they can be difficult.

I'm not really too worried about my clowns. They really only get feisty amongst each other every once in a while. Okay thank you! :)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 112g is 5' long. If a second dwarf doesn't work out, would a pearlscale butterfly work? Currently I just have zoas. I plan to move them all out to a different tank so corals won't be an issue.

Pearlscale butterflies are among the hardiest butterflies, and it would do just great in a 5' 112 gallon. If the tank won't have corals, then go for it.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just know my tang won't like another tang, and my maroon clowns don't like any other clowns. My wrasse seems to get along with everything. Would another wrasse be an option? Does anyone know what melanurus wrasse behaviour is towards same or similar wrasses?

Melanurus can be mean to new wrasses once they are established. My Melanurus gave my Blue Star Leopard a heck of a time for 2 weeks (tried chasing it out of the tank multiple times). It still doesn't much care for it around feeding times, but they generally tolerate each other the rest of the time. My Leopard is super stubborn and very smart though so he knows how to sneak in and grab food when the Melanurus is distracted and eats like a pig. Another Halichoeres would be worse though IMHO. A Fairy or Flasher Wrasse would be the best choices to try with a Melanurus because they aren't as close as Halichoeres and Leopards.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus can be mean to new wrasses once they are established. My Melanurus gave my Blue Star Leopard a heck of a time for 2 weeks (tried chasing it out of the tank multiple times). It still doesn't much care for it around feeding times, but they generally tolerate each other the rest of the time. My Leopard is super stubborn and very smart though so he knows how to sneak in and grab food when the Melanurus is distracted and eats like a pig. Another Halichoeres would be worse though IMHO. A Fairy or Flasher Wrasse would be the best choices to try with a Melanurus because they aren't as close as Halichoeres and Leopards.

Awesome thank you!

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm just lucky but I have flameback and a flame angel in a 60 gal tk and they get along fine they were added months apart. I would like to add a false lemonpeel but afraid I may be pushing my luck. Thoughts?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 60 gallon with 2 dwarf angels (and 2 of the more assertive ones at that) I think you would really be pushing your luck with 3. Consider yourself lucky with 2 that coexist. If you had added 3 at the same time then it might work (still not advised though).

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While having several different species of angel in a reef increase number of species you keep. I think different. I like to keep them in as natural condition as I can and observe their behavior, including spawn/breeding. I find that it is very rewarding for me to know that I keep my pet in good enough condition to indue spawning.

If you can just keep two angels in your tank, why not try to get a pair? These angels are protogynous hermaphrodites. It is easy to get pairs, just add a small immature fish. I would recommend that you pick what ever species you want and keep a pair.

Regarding C. nox, they are very graceful, among the most graceful of all angels but they are coral picker. I like them very much but over the years, I have tried at lest 5 time and got coral pickers every time. I am very tolerance of minor coral pickers, every one of the multiple Flame angels that I keep I consider reef safe, more or less, but none of the Nox.

It would be great to be able to keep several Flame angels with several Nox angels. The contrast in color, and swimming pattern is remarkable. One is everything the other one's not.

Steve Fast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although someday I’ll try to write something more thorough, here goes on a short summary of my observations/experiences for dwarf angels, butterflies and reefs that relate to your question. I have a 520 gallon 10 foot tank. I have softies, some hardy SPS, and LPS… nothing fancy. The tank is well fed. I have the following dwarf angels: nox, flame, rusty, coral beauty, yellow, flame back, and eibli. I also have the following butterflies: double saddle, Indian vagabond, 2 X pearl scale, 2 X longnose, 2 X lemon, Pakistani, latticed, atlantic reef, Klein’s, peppered, spotband, 4 spot. I cannot keep monti nor most frogspawn or hammers, though do have one frogspawn that they have always left alone… go figure. Theses corals were decimated by the double saddle, latticed, and spotband… though mostly the double saddle and only recently. I’ve tried CBs, but they seem too shy to adapt to the other butterflies’ feeding cadence…. I never witnessed the dwarf angels touching coral. The butterflies all get along very well. Probably the least conspecific aggressive fish I’ve ever had other than shrimp gobies and my three purple tilefish. The dwarf angel aggression is limited to the coral beauty occasionally chasing the rusty, though it took a long time for the nox to be accepted and the eibli will not allow me to add a halfblack.

Hope this helps…

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.. Well I have a coral beauty. Would trying a second be an okay option? Or another type? (Nox specifically).

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.. Well I have a coral beauty. Would trying a second be an okay option? Or another type? (Nox specifically).
Regarding Coral Beauty, there is no clear dimorphism of this species of angel, at least not that I know about. If you added a small Coral Beauty then you are all set. You will have problem if you added two male CB angels together in a small tank. If you have a 180 gal plus, with plenty of rock, then two males will fight but eventually one will change back to female. There are lots of evidences that Centropyge angels can change sex and then revere when the situation is needed. If the tank is small or with not enough hiding place, one may died before he can change to she.

Steve Fast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, the Eibli killed a half black and the coral beauty chases the rusty. For the CB/rusty I suspect this is because they are similar is color/pattern. As for the Eibli killing a half black, might be male/male aggression as Eiblis and half blacks cross in the wild. As far as the initial hiding of my nox, it was small when it was added. So I concluded that keeping the species sufficiently different in color/pattern was the way to go.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Flame angel pair that spawned all the time. Two days ago, I added a third female Flame into my 320 DT from Petco. Just two days, but all three are doing fine. The older female chase the smaller one once in a while but that was it. I know from previous experiences that all three will be fine together. It is always neat to see the three angels spawned. The male trying to court both females, is a sight to see.
When you add angels to form a harem, you don't have to worry about fighting (if our tank is large enough) and that you don't add two males.

Steve Fast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Flame angel pair that spawned all the time. Two days ago, I added a third female Flame into my 320 DT from Petco. Just two days, but all three are doing fine. The older female chase the smaller one once in a while but that was it. I know from previous experiences that all three will be fine together. It is always neat to see the three angels spawned. The male trying to court both females, is a sight to see.
When you add angels to form a harem, you don't have to worry about fighting (if our tank is large enough) and that you don't add two males.

So how can you determine if the one you want to add is a female?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame Angel is dimorphic shape of the dorsal and anal fins are pointed in males and round in females. This is not the same in Coral Beauty.
I posted on this topic before including pictures. If you really interested you can do a search on it.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back