Dwarf angels with lps and clams

U

User1

View Badges
I've had a flame angel in a 100 gallon tank years ago. It would pick on my frogspawn and elegance coral. Frogspawn was large enough that whatever damage it did do it wasn't noticeable and it could recover. On the other hand the elegance was new, small, and couldn't. I removed a bunch of rock and corals out of the tank to catch the flame. Said never again but here it is on my stock list for a 210 gallon. Today I have a coral beauty in the 210 with lps (hammers), rose bubble tips, kenya tree, and some smaller button / green polyp things. It doesn't bother anything. Eats whatever I put in the tank be it frozen or pellet and foraging on the rocks. No corals though and it is pretty healthy overall.

My opinion is that I wouldn't put or add them to a new tank or recently cycled I should say. Only reason why I have the coral beauty is that I had it in a 40 breeder that I upgraded to the 210 gallon. So it was a package deal. Looking at it now along with some previous tanks I think if you have a mature, established, tank with corals grown appropriately, then I think it doesn't matter if the angel nips, takes a bite here or there, or any other fish for that matter. They will have enough growth or mean time to recover along with distribution of other corals so it shouldn't be an issue. Just how I see it anyway.

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love my Potters, had him for about a year but it did develop a taste for zoas. I dont know if its nipping sps or simply grazing everything in the tank but as another previously said, a well enough established reef i see no harm being done...except for said zoas! Frogspawn and blastos i've not seen it get close to, yet.

potters.jpg

biga1106

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a derasa clam with a coral beauty for over a year and he once in a blue moon takes a quick nip and keeps going. Clam still opens up and looks good so far.

Cessna89811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biota Coral Beauty and a Biota Squamosa clam. The Beauty has not even noticed the clam in my 100 gal tank. He is busy screwing around with my Yellow Tang, Lawnmower blenny and Royal gramma.. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back