Dwarf angels with lps and clams

frenchie01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody keep dwarf angels with lps and/or clams?
Thinking of getting a potters and golden angel.
Pics would be nice

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal preference is not to keep angels in a reef tank. You can never guarantee they won't nibble on some here and there considering it's their diet in nature.

Many people have had great success keeping angels though.

If you couldn't bare your most prized lps ripped to shreds then I personally wouldn't chance it.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody keep dwarf angels with lps and/or clams?
Thinking of getting a potters and golden angel.
Pics would be nice
I once had an flame angel that wouldnt stop harassing my Acans. Its a case by case thing. I feel like a bigger tank is better for this because even if the angel causes problems its gonna be more spread out

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like to gamble ? Because it always is with these fish, I’ve kept a flame and coral beauty together with a clam zoas and a bunch of sps no issues not long term only about 6-7 months but sold them to get the actual ones I wanted a potters and multibar. The potter is currently in my 75g same clam no issues, he’s been in my tank almost 4 months and still not eating only algea on rocks Doesn’t touch anything else, I added a Multibar a few weeks ago and he went berserk on my brain corals and and my Stylopora the very next morning! He cleaned the Lower half of my stylo and one side of my brain coral. So if you are risky like me have a backup plan to get them out if they flip

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Coral Beauty that I keep in a tank with a couple of Euphyllia Frags (LPS). I've had it for several months now and other than the occasional exploratory nip (which it spits back out) it has left them alone. No experience with clams though since I don't have any. I do believe it helps to have a well established tank with algae growing and daily seaweed/nori feedings will increase your chances of success. Just me personally but I feel that people tend to have a higher success rate with Coral Beauties and I have also heard of people having good luck with Potter's Angels. Once again it is a gamble, but I think if you follow the aforementioned you can increase your chances of success.

Last edited:

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very risky and to make it worse even if theyre model citizens at first they still can flip it any time.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my pair of Goldens in my office they were angels never touching anything but they were fed 4 to 5 times daily. When one passed I moved the other to my 180 at home and it has reverted back to normal pecking at some of my sps.

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very risky as everyone else has stated. However, each fish have their own little personality and it is a fun-scary gamble that you should think about.

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a dwarf pygmy angel for about 4 months now in my reef and so far so good. I’ve got softies, lps, and sps, and he never messes with the lps or sps. He had an instance were he was nipping/bothering a new small rock I had put in covered in palys and zoas (he’d only nip ones with green, which happened to be my rastas), but once I moved that rock from his hangout spot (I had placed it right where he likes to hang out), he never bothered them again and my tank is only a 45g. He’s constantly eating algae off rocks and glass, and I don’t feed any nori (he wouldn’t mess with it when I offered it), but I do supplement with spirulina brine. I also can’t seem to grow a healthy copepod population in this tank (been wanting a mandarin) and I blame this guy as he’s constantly grazing the rock work all day everyday.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a few open brains with a flame angel. It didnt eat it per se', but definitely picked at it so much it never opened more than 25%.

Never messed with my maxima clam but some do. Case be case.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that lemonpeels are one of the most likely to eat corals out of the dwarf angel group, but which ones are least likely to eat them? Acknowledging that they're all fully capable of doing so

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that lemonpeels are one of the most likely to eat corals out of the dwarf angel group, but which ones are least likely to eat them? Acknowledging that they're all fully capable of doing so

Probably but again they are all unique, I had a bi color which are also notoriously known to flip as much as lemon peel he was a model citizen again that was a few months not long term had him on my previous tank for about 5-6 months before I upgraded and sold everything

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same answer for the past 10 yrs of posts ive looked through on online forums. Most will say:

Flame
Coral Beauty

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that Multibars do good in reef the one I got a few weeks ago was a savage of the back!!! Oh and shy and timid also, this dude settled in 2 days he took the potters cave straight gansta! This is my territory back out or be nipped! He was out and about

Edp251

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame angel in my 50 gal cube which is mostly softies and euphyllia. I love her. My favorite fish. She is constantly active and that may be the risk.

She swims patterns through the live rock and pecks the rocks all day but not the corals. She grazes constantly. I make sure she has Hikari pellets available always and that she gets a solid meal twice a day. I know she may turn one day and go for my clam or corals. If that happens she will be banished to the softy tank where she can eat whatever she wants.

I am glad I did it but every fish is an individual. Best of luck.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back