Dwarf Angels

What's my best option to QT and introduce 2 Dwarf Angels post fallow?

• Wait for fallow to end and buy 2 quarantined Angels

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Divider to keep them seperate

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Add 1 or 2 other fish to distract from each other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Divider and 1 or 2 other fish

• 10 gallons is too small to QT 2 Dwarf Angels

• Don't even think about 2 Dwarf Angels in a 90 gallon DT

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Something I haven't thought about

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90 gallon mixed reef is currently in a fallow period. One of the many fish I lost to Ich/velvet was a Lemonpeel angel.

She was a model citizen toward other fish and LPS corals. Model citizen until I gambled on adding a Coral Beauty a couple of months later. It didn't end well for the CB despite my best efforts.

I know it's still a risk for coral nibbling and/or aggression, but I know many have had success adding 2 or more Dwarf Angels at the same time. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'm going to try again, but here's my question(s) should I decide to go that route:

My QT is only 10 gallons. Is it feasible to QT 2 dwarf angels in a tank that small? Maybe a divider so they each essentially have 5 gallons but no chance for combat? Or perhaps add 1 or 2 other fish to distract from each other? Divider and 1 or 2 other fish? Wait for fallow to end and buy 2 quarantined Angels? Don't even think about it?

I will most certainly get another Lemonpeel. Coral Beauty or Flame Angel are on the short list to complete the pair.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Dwarf and Pygmy angels mixed up. Google set me straight. The link below says don't do it! Based upon your first try I think I believe the articles recommendation.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt do it. Gonna end badly for one of them. If you had 6' long display then maybe but in 4' no way.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hesitant to share my experience because I actually agree with everyone else, its probably a bad idea. that being said...I have kept a lemon peel, flame, coral beauty, majestic, and rusty angelfish all in a 180 gallon mixed reef tank for a couple years. I never had any problems with aggression and they all ignored each other. I don't know if I just got really lucky since they never were aggressive towards each other or went after coral (at least not that I saw/damaged the coral). Its the classic 'do as a I say not as I do" lol.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's easy for me to say I have a slew of angels and they all get along - but I have a 750g. But when I had a 125 I had flame, multicolor, flameback, Cherub, Golden, Joculator and interruptus all living a happy life together. And the Goldens and Flamebacks were in pairs.

Dave B

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lemonpeel too was great with corals. The last fish I added safely. It killed 2 tangs and I think the aggression was the cause of my ich outbreak. I managed to stay ich free until adding 2 tangs that died because of the lemonpeel. Even a mirror didnt help

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lemon peel angel is definitely not a model citizen but at least hasn't completely killed any coral.

My tank is 4' (Water box 130) and has done okay with multiple dwarfs for a couple of years now for what it's worth. I have a few more than just the ones that show up in the short video.

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tori and I seem to be the multiple angel nuts here so what we have both found to work is an extended QT/Observation period. Then when adding to the DT, a acclimation cage over the course of a week(for me) and always feeding directly from that cage. It gets the angels used to new inhabitants and that the newcomer also means food.

I think Tori has 7-8 angels and I have 5(#6 is in QT). My tank is 6' but the plan is to have at least 10 dwarfs/pygmy plus my imperator and other smaller fish.

Best example I can point to is fresh water African cichlids. The pecking order requires more.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I don't qt any fish if I did I would want to do it myself. I would not trust other people to qt properly. If you are committed enough to go through fallow then I think you are committed enough to qt your own fish.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the angels. 2 in a 90 is fine. If you get a 40b or a 29 or even a 20h and put in plenty of pvc or plastic deco you can qt both at the same time imo.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back