Dwarf Flame Angel

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potential stocking list for my 40 gallon breeder. I already have the clowns and the 12 hermits and 3 crabs. I will have the 3 zoas and gsp beginning of feb. What do y’all think?

937985A5-C896-419F-9BB2-B7CCF83946BE.jpeg
Watch out with the Goby. I returned mine. Too disruptive with substrate/ live rock

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my goby yes they move a lot of sand and so does the shrimp but it’s neat to see because they constantly make new holes cover old ones or make mounds under or near their rock. I have a 5” pink spotted watchman goby and it’s great to watch him with the shrimp.
They are jumpers though if spooked so have a lid

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some that no matter what fish and what sized tank they will say it’s too small.

True, and also those for whom any fish is good in any sized tank. The extremes though, fortunately most reefers apply a bit of common sense.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about this and I would also say no to a flame in a 40.
I have had mine from a baby, it could swim through egg crate.
It is in approx 125 G but my tank is divided into two with a swim through hole to allow fish and creatures to move between them.
Angels love to swim and explore, if I isolate the sides the flame goes stir crazy after a day or two in one end of the other.

DSC_0071 (1024x689).jpg
Great post. I have been thinking of giving one a try with knowing must likely I’ll remove it one day.
After reading your post I know it wouldn’t be a good choice in my tank.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post. I have been thinking of giving one a try with knowing must likely I’ll remove it one day.
After reading your post I know it wouldn’t be a good choice in my tank.

In my observations of five angels, three now removed due to coral eating you are best to think about keeping a mandarin happy, they like to graze, hunt and explore!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40G is fine. There are some that no matter what fish and what sized tank they will say it’s too small.

clown fish likes to swim and explore. Must have 450G minimum tank.

I'm sorry but the comparison is silly and although I know you were being facetious about the extreme on the clowns, the fact remains that clowns generally stake out a set turf and stick to it, whereas angels like to swim the length of the tank and make full use of the space available to them. After my experiences with both my former Flame Angel and my current Coral Beauty, combined with observations of other Dwarf Angels in tanks I stand by my claim that a Dwarf really should have a 4 foot long or longer tank in order to give it room to roam and sufficient algae to graze on. A Cherubfish would be a better fit for a 40 breeder as they stay small (about 3 inches max) and are less likely to be cramped in a 3 foot long, 18 inch wide tank. They also tend to have better temperament than Flame Angels.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back