Dwarf Lion

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
So I’m currently getting my 40 gallon breeder ready. I’ve always loved lionfish but I can’t have a 200 plus gallon tank right now. I saw a fu Man lion and dwarf fuzzy lions at my local fish store and I was curious to see if I could put one in a 40 gallon reef tank. What fish would be ok to house with it?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get away putting a dwarf lion in the 40 but the trick is going to be finding suitable tank mates. Fish that are going to be happy in a 40 and not too small to eaten by the lion. I do suggest you read through some of my other post concerning long term care for dwarf lion fish.

A fu manchu is a more challenging lion than a fuzzy, it would be a rare occasion if you got him eating a dead only diet substantial enough for long term success. That is if you were not planning to feed a live diet.

My taste in fish are quite different than most, i would be happy with fu and fuzzy in a 40 and that's it. Fish you could consider; a midas blenny or watchman goby. Believe it or not, some blue or yellow tail damsels, the lion may catch them or not; might catch one, then the others learn amd are very illusive. Very questionably a snowflake eel because the tank may be considered too small. While I would consider a 40B the smallest tank for a dwarf lion, the bigger challenge is if you like are most in wanting a variety of active fish, you'll have a very difficult time finding suitable tank mates that won't be eaten.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a jawfish? You’d need to get one of the larger species and have a deep sand bed but they’re a lot of fun to watch. I have a dusky that’s almost 6”, he was fine with my lionfish.

OP
OP
T

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get away putting a dwarf lion in the 40 but the trick is going to be finding suitable tank mates. Fish that are going to be happy in a 40 and not too small to eaten by the lion. I do suggest you read through some of my other post concerning long term care for dwarf lion fish.

A fu manchu is a more challenging lion than a fuzzy, it would be a rare occasion if you got him eating a dead only diet substantial enough for long term success. That is if you were not planning to feed a live diet.

My taste in fish are quite different than most, i would be happy with fu and fuzzy in a 40 and that's it. Fish you could consider; a midas blenny or watchman goby. Believe it or not, some blue or yellow tail damsels, the lion may catch them or not; might catch one, then the others learn amd are very illusive. Very questionably a snowflake eel because the tank may be considered too small. While I would consider a 40B the smallest tank for a dwarf lion, the bigger challenge is if you like are most in wanting a variety of active fish, you'll have a very difficult time finding suitable tank mates that won't be eaten.
Ya. I’m trying to decide if I want to do a reef community or add a lion and pretty much nothing else

OP
OP
T

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a jawfish? You’d need to get one of the larger species and have a deep sand bed but they’re a lot of fun to watch. I have a dusky that’s almost 6”, he was fine with my lionfish.
I’ll have to take a look at that

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will he be ok in a 40 gallon?

If you’re talking about the dusky jawfish then yes. You’ll need a deep sand bed with rubble and a tight fitting lid, they will jump. As long as you get one too big for the lion to eat he’ll be fine in a 40.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a fuzzy dwarf solo for quite a while in a 58, and I think it would be fine in a 40. Awesome fish

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small fuzzy dwarf in my 525xl right now with tank mates ranging in sizes and he doesn't bother anyone. He eats frozen mysis/LRS/Silversides. I also have a black ribbon eel in my reef that also eats the same thing and doesn't bother anyone as well.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back