Dwarf Lion

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
So I’m currently getting my 40 gallon breeder ready. I’ve always loved lionfish but I can’t have a 200 plus gallon tank right now. I saw a fu Man lion and dwarf fuzzy lions at my local fish store and I was curious to see if I could put one in a 40 gallon reef tank. What fish would be ok to house with it?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get away putting a dwarf lion in the 40 but the trick is going to be finding suitable tank mates. Fish that are going to be happy in a 40 and not too small to eaten by the lion. I do suggest you read through some of my other post concerning long term care for dwarf lion fish.

A fu manchu is a more challenging lion than a fuzzy, it would be a rare occasion if you got him eating a dead only diet substantial enough for long term success. That is if you were not planning to feed a live diet.

My taste in fish are quite different than most, i would be happy with fu and fuzzy in a 40 and that's it. Fish you could consider; a midas blenny or watchman goby. Believe it or not, some blue or yellow tail damsels, the lion may catch them or not; might catch one, then the others learn amd are very illusive. Very questionably a snowflake eel because the tank may be considered too small. While I would consider a 40B the smallest tank for a dwarf lion, the bigger challenge is if you like are most in wanting a variety of active fish, you'll have a very difficult time finding suitable tank mates that won't be eaten.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a jawfish? You’d need to get one of the larger species and have a deep sand bed but they’re a lot of fun to watch. I have a dusky that’s almost 6”, he was fine with my lionfish.

OP
OP
T

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get away putting a dwarf lion in the 40 but the trick is going to be finding suitable tank mates. Fish that are going to be happy in a 40 and not too small to eaten by the lion. I do suggest you read through some of my other post concerning long term care for dwarf lion fish.

A fu manchu is a more challenging lion than a fuzzy, it would be a rare occasion if you got him eating a dead only diet substantial enough for long term success. That is if you were not planning to feed a live diet.

My taste in fish are quite different than most, i would be happy with fu and fuzzy in a 40 and that's it. Fish you could consider; a midas blenny or watchman goby. Believe it or not, some blue or yellow tail damsels, the lion may catch them or not; might catch one, then the others learn amd are very illusive. Very questionably a snowflake eel because the tank may be considered too small. While I would consider a 40B the smallest tank for a dwarf lion, the bigger challenge is if you like are most in wanting a variety of active fish, you'll have a very difficult time finding suitable tank mates that won't be eaten.
Ya. I’m trying to decide if I want to do a reef community or add a lion and pretty much nothing else

OP
OP
T

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a jawfish? You’d need to get one of the larger species and have a deep sand bed but they’re a lot of fun to watch. I have a dusky that’s almost 6”, he was fine with my lionfish.
I’ll have to take a look at that

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will he be ok in a 40 gallon?

If you’re talking about the dusky jawfish then yes. You’ll need a deep sand bed with rubble and a tight fitting lid, they will jump. As long as you get one too big for the lion to eat he’ll be fine in a 40.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a fuzzy dwarf solo for quite a while in a 58, and I think it would be fine in a 40. Awesome fish

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small fuzzy dwarf in my 525xl right now with tank mates ranging in sizes and he doesn't bother anyone. He eats frozen mysis/LRS/Silversides. I also have a black ribbon eel in my reef that also eats the same thing and doesn't bother anyone as well.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back