Dying green star polyp

GillianB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sea star got a hold of it and it doesn’t look good
Aside from kicking out the sea star is there anything I can do to help it recover

E112A0D7-1A68-43DC-9BE7-8B814A0BBA77.jpeg 460A62B6-44ED-4FD0-8D64-52F78D7385B8.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a vile weed that can't be killed. Just let it be.

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how bad the damage is, but if there are any polyps that aren’t damaged it can certainly make a comeback.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blast mine with flow and light. During water changes I dump buckets of water on it on purpose. I even flipped the rock over and it grew back.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if I am not seeing the damage, but to me, the polyps looked closed up nice and tight. Is that your assessment, too? Or is there tissue missing and/ or damaged polyps we can't quite see in the photos?

If so, they do that when irritated or disturbed. For instance, mine do that when the snails plow on by or crabs pick at its base for algae. It is also guaranteed to do that when I take pipe cleaners to it to gently scrub away algae growing in the recesses. What kind of sea star do you have?

It takes a day or even a few for my GSPs to start poking out again. I'm not sure about others, but mine certainly don't like to be disturbed and they take much longer to show themselves once disturbed than their tank mates.

OP
OP
GillianB

GillianB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if I am not seeing the damage, but to me, the polyps looked closed up nice and tight. Is that your assessment, too? Or is there tissue missing and/ or damaged polyps we can't quite see in the photos?

If so, they do that when irritated or disturbed. For instance, mine do that when the snails plow on by or crabs pick at its base for algae. It is also guaranteed to do that when I take pipe cleaners to it to gently scrub away algae growing in the recesses. What kind of sea star do you have?

It takes a day or even a few for my GSPs to start poking out again. I'm not sure about others, but mine certainly don't like to be disturbed and they take much longer to show themselves once disturbed than their tank mates.
A chocolate chip sea star
The first time chip got a hold of it it looked like the polyps tucked in but later that part of the Matt pealed off.
He couldn’t have been on it for more than 2 hours this time

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those guys will eat more than that. Coral eaters. I banished one to the sump because my harlequin shrimps would not eat it fast enough.
If even one polyp remains, should be able to come back with light and flow and a bit of feeding (broadcast).

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A chocolate chip sea star
The first time chip got a hold of it it looked like the polyps tucked in but later that part of the Matt pealed off.
He couldn’t have been on it for more than 2 hours this time
Eek! Those are beauties, though. I hope your GSP pulls through!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back