Dying or splitting that is the question

Blizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am concerned that my fairly new mushroom is dying... When I first purchased this coral approx. 4 weeks ago it appear very happy and nearly doubled in size reaching approx. 3 inches in diameter.. in the past week I notice that it had formed a hump in the center and within a couple more days it looked like it was melting or falling apart.. I am hoping that this is normal and a type of split.

I have posted a picture below. You can see a small mushroom on the right side that appears to be doing well..
splitter.jpg

Any input would be appreciated..

blizz

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am concerned that my fairly new mushroom is dying... When I first purchased this coral approx. 4 weeks ago it appear very happy and nearly doubled in size reaching approx. 3 inches in diameter.. in the past week I notice that it had formed a hump in the center and within a couple more days it looked like it was melting or falling apart.. I am hoping that this is normal and a type of split.

I have posted a picture below. You can see a small mushroom on the right side that appears to be doing well..
splitter.jpg

Any input would be appreciated..

blizz

Looks like a split to me. The parts look pretty healthy otherwise.

OP
OP
Blizz

Blizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks WV.. hoping that's the case.... just caught me off guard when the thing seemed to be doing so well,,, really reaching out then all of a sudden,,, looked like it got pregnant... LOL

OP
OP
Blizz

Blizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same mushroom a couple days later,,, seems to be trying to get back together.. seems like the left bottom edge is trying to get off the disc and onto the rock... moved quite a bit in 2 days..
splitter2.jpg

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same mushroom a couple days later,,, seems to be trying to get back together.. seems like the left bottom edge is trying to get off the disc and onto the rock... moved quite a bit in 2 days..
splitter2.jpg
When they split, they move. Totally normal. I was given a red mushroom on a plug 4 months ago. Since then, there 2 off the plug and the newest one is on the plug.

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like a split. Score! When my smallest OG bounce decided to spit two babies off it lost its bubbles I didn't know what happened thought a fish ate them

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back