Dying zoa questions

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My one zoas were not getting enough light for a while. Afraid it may be too late? They are in better light now but unfortunately are dying. They are withering away and the amphipods are taking a liking to the zoas and eating the flesh further. I dipped them today and some of the damaged polyps even came off completely. I don’t have pics of them after the dip but here are the before pics. I now put them in even better lighting.

3 questions:
1. How do I know when this zoa has fully died?
2. If some polyps have fallen off but others remain, could it survive?
3. If yes, do I have to cut away the damaged polyps or anything like that or just let nature run it’s course?

ADB8E517-B044-4395-9BB2-510D93558502.jpeg BA807A5D-5DAA-41BE-9E0C-6BB3F7C2AF7C.jpeg 160DB78A-0EE0-49EE-92CA-BED1DF80D2B7.jpeg

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"
3. If yes, do I have to cut away the damaged polyps or anything like that or just let nature run it’s course?"

1. Do not know the answer-time will tell
  2. Yes, others may survive
  3. I would not cut away polyps
I had to brake down my tank recently due to majano infestation, smothering many corals including some zoas.
I thought they were dead, but they are thriving now and so some of my other corals I managed to frag.
Suggest increasing slowly intensity of your lights as you may burn your zoas.
If corals are stressed too much, dipping might stress them even more. I do understand that you may want to prevent bacterial infection-just saying.
Word of caution-some zoas may have potent poison ( palytoxin), that's why I do not recommend cutting away polyps. If you do so, wear gloves at minimum.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"
3. If yes, do I have to cut away the damaged polyps or anything like that or just let nature run it’s course?"

1. Do not know the answer-time will tell
  2. Yes, others may survive
  3. I would not cut away polyps
I had to brake down my tank recently due to majano infestation, smothering many corals including some zoas.
I thought they were dead, but they are thriving now and so some of my other corals I managed to frag.
Suggest increasing slowly intensity of your lights as you may burn your zoas.
If corals are stressed too much, dipping might stress them even more. I do understand that you may want to prevent bacterial infection-just saying.
Word of caution-some zoas may have potent poison ( palytoxin), that's why I do not recommend cutting away polyps. If you do so, wear gloves at minimum.
Okay I will hold out hope for them and not cut them. I'll let nature run it's course then. They hadn't been getting enough light for a long time and I just added a second light with acclimation mode for a few weeks. I shortened the acclimation mode today though since they have been deprived of light for so long. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, that almost looks like a bacterial issue. If you can, I may recommend dosing an anti-bacterial, like KanaPlex or MetroPlex
I’ll have to pick some up. So coral dip like coral rx only gets rid of pests and not bacterial infections?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back