EARTHQUAKE!

multiuser8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a shaker a little over a year ago that lasted long enough to send my wife and I scrambling out of bed.. her to the kids, me down to the fish tank! Lol! I had that same thought, “could I really hold this thing back it it starts to tip?”

I was going to grab an ammonia kit and whatever bacteria starter they may have at Petco on my way home from church today, but looks like they’re still cleaning up- yellow “police tape” across the front entrance.

I’m so glad I over-engineered my DIY stand!
If you want all this it's yours. I have the bacteria starter too, more than half a bottle. The two hanna checkers, and some frozen marine food. No cost to you.
d05bc7cb67b41e0d09d5299a7fe55812.jpg

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want all this it's yours. I have the bacteria starter too, more than half a bottle. The two hanna checkers, and some frozen marine food. No cost to you.
d05bc7cb67b41e0d09d5299a7fe55812.jpg

I’ll take you up on that! I’m in Wasilla. Where are you?
I’m on call tomorrow and Tuesday, I might be able to come get what you have. Thanks a bunch!

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses with your tank but glad your family is safe!

If I read your post right, the problem was with the Apex controller being offline after the gfci tripped, correct? You may have already thought of this and your post has made me think how I would handle a similar situation. I'm running a reef-pi for controller and I travel quite a bit for work so would have to rely on my wife, daughters or a friend in case of any power outage or controller crash. My suggestion is to have an emergency kit for the tank consisting of a power strip and cord long enough to reach another outlet or a generator if you have one, well labeled cords for critical components, heater and a main pump or powerhead and any critical instructions or diagrams. Enough to safely maintain the system until the controller could be brought back online.

Best of luck with the recovery!

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses with your tank but glad your family is safe!

If I read your post right, the problem was with the Apex controller being offline after the gfci tripped, correct? You may have already thought of this and your post has made me think how I would handle a similar situation. I'm running a reef-pi for controller and I travel quite a bit for work so would have to rely on my wife, daughters or a friend in case of any power outage or controller crash. My suggestion is to have an emergency kit for the tank consisting of a power strip and cord long enough to reach another outlet or a generator if you have one, well labeled cords for critical components, heater and a main pump or powerhead and any critical instructions or diagrams. Enough to safely maintain the system until the controller could be brought back online.

Best of luck with the recovery!

Great minds think alike! Unfortunately, mine works better reactively! Lol. Live and learn.

I was contemplating the exact same thing this morning! I’ve got a portable generator. I just need to run a couple cords through the crawl space from the front porch to the tank, and have exactly what you said: a clearly marked contingency plan!

Flutt3rby3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EARTHQUAKE!!

A 7.0 earthquake epicenter less than 30 miles away hit our area yesterday morning. The stand and aquarium fared well, however water was sloshed out, got into an extension cord and tripped the GFCI. Unfortunately, I was out of town and wasn’t able to talk my wife though troubleshooting to get my Apex back online- power was out for 6+ hours even if I could figure out what happened.

So my tank sat without heat or water movement for a good 24 hours. I lost a lot. Flame angel, hippo tang, a clown, cardinal, my hearty Royal Gramma, Glenny the Blenny, banded coral shrimp, a slew of snails and urchins, spiny sea serpent, a couple anemones. Time will tell on the corals.

I cleaned out most of the carnage and have everything up and running again, but it’s got that old sea harbor smell to it. Hopefully in time things will start to settle out and I won’t lose any more livestock. Temperature is slowly rising now that the heaters are back online.

Any suggestions on my next steps? Would this be considered a tank crash?
I’ll be waiting a while before replacing any livestock to make sure things are stable again.

To put a positive spin on this, I’m thankful my diy stand withstood the quake (see my tank build in my sig). Also I’ve been wanting to do some reaquascaping and thin out the livestock- especially my anemones.

WARNING: some images may be disturbing to women and children...

2fe940e5a352fc6b0e71ce9667273ced.jpg

a1913e3078ee72544cbc83b252b99af7.jpg

f2497b605a8e1781c05828d7b18d2ee5.jpg

51591a5f52fe11d7d502955dcb1dbcef.jpg

09af6fbf54a323455f5a953034a7e909.jpg

af912a3183b445a1947e5d61413e5398.jpg
All I can say is be prepared! From an earth quake like that there could be an after shock coming. Look out. I wish you all the hope :)

Sent from my SM-A310F using REEF2REEF mobile app

Lbrod126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EARTHQUAKE!!

A 7.0 earthquake epicenter less than 30 miles away hit our area yesterday morning. The stand and aquarium fared well, however water was sloshed out, got into an extension cord and tripped the GFCI. Unfortunately, I was out of town and wasn’t able to talk my wife though troubleshooting to get my Apex back online- power was out for 6+ hours even if I could figure out what happened.

So my tank sat without heat or water movement for a good 24 hours. I lost a lot. Flame angel, hippo tang, a clown, cardinal, my hearty Royal Gramma, Glenny the Blenny, banded coral shrimp, a slew of snails and urchins, spiny sea serpent, a couple anemones. Time will tell on the corals.

I cleaned out most of the carnage and have everything up and running again, but it’s got that old sea harbor smell to it. Hopefully in time things will start to settle out and I won’t lose any more livestock. Temperature is slowly rising now that the heaters are back online.

Any suggestions on my next steps? Would this be considered a tank crash?
I’ll be waiting a while before replacing any livestock to make sure things are stable again.

To put a positive spin on this, I’m thankful my diy stand withstood the quake (see my tank build in my sig). Also I’ve been wanting to do some reaquascaping and thin out the livestock- especially my anemones.

WARNING: some images may be disturbing to women and children...

2fe940e5a352fc6b0e71ce9667273ced.jpg

a1913e3078ee72544cbc83b252b99af7.jpg

f2497b605a8e1781c05828d7b18d2ee5.jpg

51591a5f52fe11d7d502955dcb1dbcef.jpg

09af6fbf54a323455f5a953034a7e909.jpg

af912a3183b445a1947e5d61413e5398.jpg
dang really sorry to hear about your tank and your loss of live stock it really is a crappy thing to happen. I wouldn't necessarily say it's a full on tank crash. I would definitely test your water now that you're back online. Depending on how long you were gone between the die off and getting it back online. I would definitely invest in a better back up or if your want to get a little bit more for a little more $$$ I would get a nice electric generator just keep in charged and in the event of a black out plug in your pump and heaters. I recently had an 10 hour blackout and hooked my tank up to a 3000 watt generator to power my whole tank lasted me the whole 10 hours with time to spare. Hopefully everything is doing good now and even having the number to your lfs or another reefer in the area in an event like this could definitely help if you're not around.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back