EARTHQUAKE!

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that’s a bummer. We had staff fly through anchorage the day before it happened. Keep positive and use the opportunity to rescape as you mentioned.

I would keep the auto change on to hopefully not stress your corals out any more. Give them a chance, might surprise you.

Carbon, check!

d0d5b7dc85425b92b114d81cd7bb19ee.jpg

I’ve got an auto water change system. Should I just leave that running as long as I have fresh saltwater? Or would a big change all at once be better?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you experienced many earthquakes ...do they occur often .??

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
EARTHQUAKE!!

A 7.0 earthquake epicenter less than 30 miles away hit our area yesterday morning. The stand and aquarium fared well, however water was sloshed out, got into an extension cord and tripped the GFCI. Unfortunately, I was out of town and wasn’t able to talk my wife though troubleshooting to get my Apex back online- power was out for 6+ hours even if I could figure out what happened.

So my tank sat without heat or water movement for a good 24 hours. I lost a lot. Flame angel, hippo tang, a clown, cardinal, my hearty Royal Gramma, Glenny the Blenny, banded coral shrimp, a slew of snails and urchins, spiny sea serpent, a couple anemones. Time will tell on the corals.

I cleaned out most of the carnage and have everything up and running again, but it’s got that old sea harbor smell to it. Hopefully in time things will start to settle out and I won’t lose any more livestock. Temperature is slowly rising now that the heaters are back online.

Any suggestions on my next steps? Would this be considered a tank crash?
I’ll be waiting a while before replacing any livestock to make sure things are stable again.

To put a positive spin on this, I’m thankful my diy stand withstood the quake (see my tank build in my sig). Also I’ve been wanting to do some reaquascaping and thin out the livestock- especially my anemones.

WARNING: some images may be disturbing to women and children...

2fe940e5a352fc6b0e71ce9667273ced.jpg

a1913e3078ee72544cbc83b252b99af7.jpg

f2497b605a8e1781c05828d7b18d2ee5.jpg

51591a5f52fe11d7d502955dcb1dbcef.jpg

09af6fbf54a323455f5a953034a7e909.jpg

af912a3183b445a1947e5d61413e5398.jpg
Sad to hear - had a similar experience (minus the earthquake) make sure all the dead things are taken out - and give it time. Skimmer. Carbon - and time. Mine recovered with a couple fish losses - and some coral necrosis (I fragged the parts that were damaged) and all came back. Dont Panic.

multiuser8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP I have a calc and UL phos HANNA checker if you want them. Also I have all the api test kits too. I know they arent the best... but if you want them they're yours. If not, and you might know someone I'll give them away. No sense in them going to waste. I have a bunch of other kent marine products too, but I'm sure you're set on chems.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry benapilot and multiuser8 as well as all affected by the earthquake my heart truly hurts for Y'all and your critters. We had many on the island of Adak and tsunami warnings whilst there. I remember waking from a dead sleep at times and a quake would hit. Do Y'all ever wake like that before one happens?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you experienced many earthquakes ...do they occur often .??

I'm in Southern California, and a handful of years ago on Easter Sunday I was napping in my lazy boy about 15' from my tank and woke to a jolt and SW actually splashing me in the face from my 150g, even w/ a canopy on top!

I remember my first thought was to hold the tank steady, but a milisecond later I looked at all that coral, rock, water and glass and decided to not be in front of it...

It was the first time I ducked for cover under a door header, and far from tank.(which amazingly held)

This was only a 6.3, 7.0 is significantly higher, not sure many tanks would even hold up to that, so guess that is the one positive thing OP has going for him.

It may look a little rough right now, but it will recover for the most part.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear, maybe make an insurance claim?

multiuser8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Southern California, and a handful of years ago on Easter Sunday I was napping in my lazy boy about 15' from my tank and woke to a jolt and SW actually splashing me in the face from my 150g, even w/ a canopy on top!

I remember my first thought was to hold the tank steady, but a milisecond later I looked at all that coral, rock, water and glass and decided to not be in front of it...

It was the first time I ducked for cover under a door header, and far from tank.(which amazingly held)

This was only a 6.3, 7.0 is significantly higher, not sure many tanks would even hold up to that, so guess that is the one positive thing OP has going for him.

It may look a little rough right now, but it will recover for the most part.
Yeah that was my first instinct too, but as the building kept swaying more and more I thought it was gonna collapse. Me being on the third floor, it felt worse than on the ground. I let go of the tank and it immediately flew off the stand. Miraculously my 55gal made it. It moved about a foot from where it originally was. This tank was full to the brim plus 50+ pounds of substrate so I'd say the tank and stand were about 700lbs. Moving 700lbs like nothing and it staying upright were the two things that blew my mind the other day.

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a shaker a little over a year ago that lasted long enough to send my wife and I scrambling out of bed.. her to the kids, me down to the fish tank! Lol! I had that same thought, “could I really hold this thing back it it starts to tip?”

I was going to grab an ammonia kit and whatever bacteria starter they may have at Petco on my way home from church today, but looks like they’re still cleaning up- yellow “police tape” across the front entrance.

I’m so glad I over-engineered my DIY stand!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back