Easiest Clam to Keep?

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like clams and I have been trying to find the perfect one for my tank.
I have 4 T5 bulbs and my numbers are perfect :)
I have been looking into the crocea clams because they don't get very big but I am not sure about the care level. I also like squamosa but they get pretty big and I only have a 29 gallon tank. What clam can tolerate the highest flow?
Any suggestions will be awesome. Thanks :)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really it seems the toughest ones are the largest ones you can find. For example, ime a 6" maxima is tougher than a 1 or 2" derasa. Really for a 29g you are pretty limited by size though and how much calcium those suckers can pull down. Unless you really have a great dosing system and don't mind checking everyday and dosing 100's of ml 2 part per day just for the clam go with crocea and put it up high in the tank after it settles down so it doesn't jump. Crocea and maxima can handle flow as they come from shallower more turbulent water.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So don't put it in the sand bed?
That is where I was planning on putting it

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derasa or Squamosa are your best choices for sand dwelling light adaptable clams. 4 T5s are very underpowered for rock dwelling clams like maxima or crocea unless they are directly under the lights near the waters surface. Both derasa and squamosa get large, but there's no perfect clam for a small tank. You could donate or sell it when it gets too big. Also a nice excuse to rationalize a tank upgrade. Good luck with your future clam. They are super cool creatures!

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept Maximas on the sand bed, you just have to make sure your lights are strong enough. I would highly recommend for whatever clam you get that if you put it in the sand put it atop a frag plug so it's byssal fibers can attach to it. I have kept all types of clams and would recommend the easiest as a derasa. I would put it on the sand bed and because this is your first clam (I am guessing) I would recommend getting a clam over two inches. These are usually easier to take care of. As far as size goes derasa's can reach 8 inches but if you buy it at 2 to 3 inches it would take a long time for it to out grow your tank.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept Maximas on the sand bed, you just have to make sure your lights are strong enough. I would highly recommend for whatever clam you get that if you put it in the sand put it atop a frag plug so it's byssal fibers can attach to it. I have kept all types of clams and would recommend the easiest as a derasa. I would put it on the sand bed and because this is your first clam (I am guessing) I would recommend getting a clam over two inches. These are usually easier to take care of. As far as size goes derasa's can reach 8 inches but if you buy it at 2 to 3 inches it would take a long time for it to out grow your tank.

Thanks. I really like the cruces clams but the place that gets the most light in my tank is alresdy reserved by my RBT
I might try to find a really small blue squamosa or derasa because I would like to keep it in my sand bed

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have local LI quahogs, they bury into the sand, so I don't see them. But any clam will clean the water. I never heard about any bad things could happen. I have clams and scallops in my local tank, and the water is crystal. Clams can live forever, but scallops will die after 2 years. When they do, the fish and crabs make short work of a dead one.
image.jpeg

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Crocea clams are beautiful, but they need to be put into the rocks and require very high lighting . The two easiest species are maxim and derasa. Once you get used to taking care of these I would advance to squamosa and Crocea.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Crocea clams are beautiful, but they need to be put into the rocks and require very high lighting . The two easiest species are maxim and derasa. Once you get used to taking care of these I would advance to squamosa and Crocea.

Could a maxima go in the sand bed or do they need to go higher in the rock work for more light?
Same thing for derasa.

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
what type of lighting do you have? I currently have a derasa on the sand bed with LEDs and have had success with Maximas on the rocks and on the sand. The only problem is if Maximas take a long fall off of a rock. And aren't uprighted immediately they will die. This happened to my first maxima(Which is pictured above).

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure that my fixture has 4 24 watt T5 bulbs. My tank is a regular 29 gallon tank so it is 18" tall (is that right?)
Will not enough light get to the clam?

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, unfortunately I lost that guy when he took a tumble off a rock. I think you have plenty of light. If you feel more comfortable with putting a clam on a rock make sure you acclimate it to the lighting. Start with it on the bottom and then eventually move it to it final spot. It all depends on the type however. I hope this helped!

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, unfortunately I lost that guy when he took a tumble off a rock. I think you have plenty of light. If you feel more comfortable with putting a clam on a rock make sure you acclimate it to the lighting. Start with it on the bottom and then eventually move it to it final spot. It all depends on the type however. I hope this helped!

I am probably going to put whatever I get in the sand so I think it would be best for me to get a nice derasa considering everything I've heard about them. Do they prefer lower flow?
Thanks

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a chance that I could keep a small squamosa in my sand bed?
I like the look of them a lot more but I am still not completely sure on the care level.

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't have experience with squamosa but I think they may be rock boring clams. Regardless of the type of clam you decide on I would recommend getting one at least two inches because those are hardier than small clams. As long as you aren't blasting the clam they should be fine in any water flow.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO 2x24w is no where near enough light for any Clam. Especially one on the sand bed. So the answer to your question is NO! Please don't even attempt it. The Clam will definitely die.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squamosa clams are one of the easiest to keep. They are not rock boring clams and do best sitting in the sand bed. As stated previously, they do not require the intense lighting that some of the other giant clams require.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back