Easiest Clam to Keep?

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO 2x24w is no where near enough light for any Clam. Especially one on the sand bed. So the answer to your question is NO! Please don't even attempt it. The Clam will definitely die.
Nana reefer I think you misread what baby Ray said. They have 4X24 watt T5 fixture and the tank is only 18 inches deep. I think that should be suffice and if not they can always move it closer to the light source.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help :)
When I do get a clam I will try to post it to my tank thread. I'll keep you posted

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have actually decided to try a derasa clam because my LFS has been getting in some really nice ones and they are cheaper :)
I want to keep it in my sand bed but should I bury a rock or something in the sand for it to attach to?

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have actually decided to try a derasa clam because my LFS has been getting in some really nice ones and they are cheaper :)
I want to keep it in my sand bed but should I bury a rock or something in the sand for it to attach to?
Good choice. They are very easy to keep in the sand bed and look great. They will grow pretty fast and cosume a lot of alk and Ca.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Squamosa 18 months ago 3"
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1462962831.371615.jpg

And now 10"x6"

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice. They are very easy to keep in the sand bed and look great. They will grow pretty fast and cosume a lot of alk and Ca.
I am manually dosing cal/alk to part solution. My calcium is in the 450 range. I will either just start manually dosing more or I might get a doser. Depends if I can find one cheap enough :)

David E. MacDonald Jr.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squamosa clams typically live/reside in deeper water. So they do not require as intense lighting as maximas and croceas. For your lighting system, that is the species I would go with. Although personally I would upgrade to a 150Watt Halide minimum. Although for a 29gal this may cause water temp increases if you are not running a chiller.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a chance that I could keep a small squamosa in my sand bed?
I like the look of them a lot more but I am still not completely sure on the care level.
I have one. And so you know. They walk too:D

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :) I thought this thread was dead but I guess not. I have decided on a derasa clam because they seem easy to keep and my LFS had some really good looking ones. I just need to catch a big brittle star first because I am worried he will eat a clam

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the easiest clams to keep are the ones that came on my Florida live rock....I have 12 or so in my tank. Those suckers lasted five days out of water and made it through the live rock cycling. Pretty tough for a bivalve ;)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :) I thought this thread was dead but I guess not. I have decided on a derasa clam because they seem easy to keep and my LFS had some really good looking ones. I just need to catch a big brittle star first because I am worried he will eat a clam
brittle or serpent? A brittle wont, a serpent will eat anything.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brittle or serpent? A brittle wont, a serpent will eat anything.
It is a brittle but I am still a little cautious. He has killed several corals thinking they were food so I don't want to take that risk.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the easiest clams to keep are the ones that came on my Florida live rock....I have 12 or so in my tank. Those suckers lasted five days out of water and made it through the live rock cycling. Pretty tough for a bivalve ;)
Pictures? :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back