Easiest to Hardest Coral to Keep

kitti-fish

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 13, 2024
Messages
542
Reaction score
644
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the easiest vs the hardest corals you’ve ever kept? To me, every coral is difficult even the easiest ones on the market. I need some future addition ideas. I find the encrusting corals to be one of the hardest (and coolest).
 
What’s the easiest vs the hardest corals you’ve ever kept? To me, every coral is difficult even the easiest ones on the market. I need some future addition ideas. I find the encrusting corals to be one of the hardest (and coolest).
It depends on how much you are willing to spend and how much time you can put in. For example if you spend 30 mins per week on your tank and don't want to spend money on dosers/good lighting, acros might not be the best option.

If you can test your tank 1-2x per week and have dosers+good lighting and are on top or nutrients + water changes every 1-4 weeks you can do the more "challenging" corals. Things like Acros, Torches, Gonis, Most sps etc.

If you can test every 1-2 weeks and dose by hand 1-2 times per week + water changes every 1-2 months you can do most lps + hammers, chalices, stylophoras, montis, frogspawn, acans, pretty much all soft corals, etc.

If you want to test, water change and dose whenever you feel like just stick with soft corals.

In my experience all of the corals I've kept from zoas to acros are pretty low effort because of automation and scheduled routine. It all depends on what you are willing to do. I'm not sure the exact situation in your tank but do research on your corals and stop "leveling up" the corals when it doesn't fit your lifestyle.

In my opinion a mixed reef with branching sps, torches and coral gardens is the coolest.
I would recommend slowly improving the conditions in your tank and adding harder and harder corals over time.
Good luck :)
 
The two hardest corals for me have been 1) UC Amazeballs Goniopora, and 2) RRU Angry birds

These two corals are expensive in part because they are challenging to grow.
 
Were you able to keep them long term ?
FreonAmazeballs I have failed twice. I don’t intend to try again anytime soon since I don’t have an ideal setup for Goniopora and want or avoid going bankrupt. I heard that TCK who is probably also the largest online seller of Amazeballs lost their entire collection of it at one point in 2025 but have been able to restock. Apparently Amazeballs does not like to be in systems with other Goniopora! That is the theory I have heard at least.

I have killed two RRU Angry Birds. I have a third one in my tank right now and has the distinctive coloration for this SPS. I am at month 3 now and it is still alive. This is a record for me 🤣 I do not recommend this frag for anyone unless they have a very established system with strong track record of growing SPS. I have learned my lesson the hard way.
 
Never had any issues with keeping gsp!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new