hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Share some tricks about what you did in order to get your leopard wrasse to eat.
I my self having some issues with getting my leopard wrasse to nibble on seaweed, lettuce, meat pellets, mysis shrimp, blood worms, brine shrimp.
I haven’t dipped anything in garlic but the meat pellets are pre dipped

Share your thoughts and ideas

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eggs

IMG_6633.jpeg

And I agree with frozen calanus

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I would get new wrasses in they went into a quarantine tank first.
The first food I would use is live Tigger Pods.
Once I saw them eating live food I would switch to frozen Hikari Mysis shrimp. I would get the smaller size mysis.
When I added it to the tank I would pour the thawed mysis into the stream of the powerhead so that it appeared the mysis was swimming and trying to get away.
This would trigger a feeding response.
Frozen PE Calanus was also a good starter food.

Kittenslim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Share some tricks about what you did in order to get your leopard wrasse to eat.
I my self having some issues with getting my leopard wrasse to nibble on seaweed, lettuce, meat pellets, mysis shrimp, blood worms, brine shrimp.
I haven’t dipped anything in garlic but the meat pellets are pre dipped

Share your thoughts and ideas
Hopefully your leopard is eating by now. I currently have two young leopards and I followed advice here to get them eating.

I offered live bbs, live and frozen copepods, frozen mysis, and pellets. I read that immature leopards stick close to each other in the ocean and it was theorized that competition from peers during feeding could act as an appetite stimulant while also boosting their confidence.

Originally, I had three leopards, but sadly one died after spending much of its time buried in the sand. The two survivors spend most of their time together and they are now very enthusiastic eaters of pretty much anything I feed them, including pellets. Typically, they are fed 3-4 times/day: frozen mysis, bbs, copepods (live and frozen), Hikari algae wafers, Masstick, etc.

About a month ago I added three orange-spotted filefish following the same philosophy of creating peer pressure to eat. Two of the three were very skinny, but the smallest one was pretty plump and he took to Masstick on the glass very quickly. As soon as the larger two noticed that he was eating, they chased the smaller one away from the Masstick and started eating. Everyone LOVES the Masstick, so you may want to try that. I get the tabs and stick them to the glass.

It might not be helpful to add another leopard at this point, but wanted to pass along the info that was so helpful for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0925.jpeg
    IMG_0925.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 35

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back