Eco System Balling Salts . My on and on journey with them

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would start this thread since it is an alternative to others on the market .
I have used the product off and on since 2010 . I recently switched to Tropic Marin . I will have to go back to Ecosystem since it's still available .
The salts come in liquid mixed for ease of use and the powdered form . It is a system that requires you to have NSW parmeters.

This is back in 2010 when I had a 70 cube and decided to try the bottles first .

I then switched to BM dosing pumps with the help of Leo aka "Flipside " .

This was my nano that ran the Ecosystems Balling Salts .

I changed the dollar store rigged containers to these HK made units that hold 1500 ml each .

A brief description of the salts . Note this pack makes .. See below !!

Provides calcium enhancement in all reef systems.
Make 3 gal. of balling method additives. 1 gal of each, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium.

• Phosphate and Nitrate Free
• Provides immediate, bio-available calcium and other major ions for all marine invertebrates
• Encourages purple and coralline algae growth in reef systems

Calcium is one of the major minerals found in all sea salt mixes. However, it is rapidly depleted from aquarium water through biological processes — it is used up by the organisms in the system. It is essential to the health and well-being of the corals in a reef aquarium that all vital parameters in the system be maintained at near seawater levels, including calcium (420-430 ppm), carbonate alkalinity (7 dKH) and magnesium (1300-1400 ppm), which are essential for optimal coral growth. ECO Calcium Plus is an ionically balanced product that will replenish and maintain calcium in the reef aquarium at acceptable levels. Regular use will ensure lush growth of purple, pink and green calcareous algae, and stony corals. ECO Calcium Plus will not adversely affect the system pH.

I like these salts since almost everything is in the mixes already . No adding of this or that .
EG the flouride is already in the Alk mix .

Alk A
potassium, bicarbonate, carbonate, borate, fluoride, iodide, molybdate, selenate, vanadate and tungstate.

B minerals n there are quite a few .

70 + minerals and trace elements from sea salt mix: aluminum, antimony, arsenic, barium, beryllium, bismuth, boron, bromine, cadmium, carbon, cerium, cesium, chromium, cobalt, copper, dysprosium, erbium, europium, fluorine, gadolinium, gallium, germanium, gold, hafnium, holmium, indium, iodine, iridium, iron, lanthanum, lithium, lutetium, manganese, molybdenum, neodymium, nickel, niobium, nitrogen, osmium, palladium, platinum, praseodymium, rhenium, rhodium, rubidium, ruthenium, samarium, scandium, selenium, silicon, silver, strontium tantalum, tellurium, terbium, thallium, thorium, thulium, tin, titanium, tungsten, vanadium, ytterbium, yttrium, zinc, zirconiu

Calcium C
The calcium n mag are together .
calcium, aluminium, baron, fluoride, magnesium, iron, potassium.

They only offer a few add on's if ones demand is high or a densely packed SPS or coral tank.
These are in bottles .

1.NF metals Non -ferrous metals . For red blue and yellow color enhancements . Sy advised me to use this if I noticed the browning of corals . Said the tank would be lacking if that happened .
It has not .

Contents
Deionized water, Manganese, Zinc, Potassium, Nickel, Cobalt, Chromium, and other Alkali Trace Minerals (no chelating Agents)

2. Iodine
3. Strontium
4. Iron proly for a mud tank ..

The NF metals is the only one I have tried with these salts .
I have used other products mixed with these that do just as well .
I have one friend that switched to this system with only water changes and he likes it so far . He says the colors have deepened . He does not carbon dose .
A few are FM users in reference to balling salts . The others use a calcium reactor or 2 part BRS or B-Ionic .

I have a build thread here feel free to check it out .

HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
LILBUDDHA

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with these salt one change in 1 coral was noticeable .
It went from this .

To this . If it still keeps the polyp color and shifting to purple it's cool .

Alex27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks interesting. I was looking at FM as a source for the balling salts.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please keep this updated!

OP
OP
LILBUDDHA

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks interesting. I was looking at FM as a source for the balling salts.

I just thought I would share there are some alternatives . Way more economical . 3 gallon mix 1gl x 3 A,B n C for less than 20.00 if you know where to look . I think Aquacave n PA are sponsors

Please keep this updated!

Will do Rev . Not trying to start a Eco vs FM debate.
Again ,just sharing alternatives . I have been dosing with them for several years but will go back since I cant get the Tropic Marin anymore .

Last edited:

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these salts replace traditional 2part?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Alex27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this dosed? Looking at the instructions it seems that you have to dose the same amount daily, is this correct?

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost out of 2 part and might consider giving this a try since it seems to be a little cheaper actually. Are all of those their elements in proper proportions or do they all need to be tested? I guess I need to get on google and do a little research, my tank is 2/3 sps and is slowly becoming all sps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LILBUDDHA

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ur tank will have to be in certain parameters before using.
If your tank is already balanced there should be no issues .
I am about to pack up my desktop so I cannot post the directions ATM .
I will do so when I get a chance .
HTH

Sent from my Moto HD on Jelly Bean

OP
OP
LILBUDDHA

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the start up directions . Ignore the Kalkwasser part .

Step 1* — before using the ECO (Balling Method) CALCIUM 3-Part Supplement, measure all vital parameters in the reef aquarium with commercial test kits, including those for carbonate alkalinity (dKH), calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg). Make the following adjustments (in the exact order) if:…the Mg level is below 1300 ppm, adjust to a level of 1300 to 1400 ppm by using a magnesium supplement, such as ECO MAGNESIUM liquid (for established aquariums with livestock) or ECO MAGNESIUM powder (for new aquariums with no livestock). See instructions for use.…the Ca level is below 400 ppm, adjust to a level of 420 to 439 ppm, by using a calcium supplement, such as ECO (Balling Method) CALCIUM Part C (for establish aquariums with livestock) or ECO KALKWASSER and ECO CALCIUM PLUS (for new aquariums with no livestock). See instructions for use.…the carbonate alkalinity level is below 7.0 dKH, adjust the carbonate alkalinity to 7.0 using ECO (Balling Method) CALCIUM Part A (for established aquariums with livestock) or ECO BUFFER dKH (for new aquariums with no livestock). See instructions for use.*Step 1 should be performed only once.

OP
OP
LILBUDDHA

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this dosed? Looking at the instructions it seems that you have to dose the same amount daily, is this correct?

Correct but based off the tanks demands

OP
OP
LILBUDDHA

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then dosing follows the same as all other dosing methods. Understood then.

U got it. One strange thing was the buddy mentioned was up to 120 ml of bionic a day ..no he is making sand bricks ...
He started with 70 ml a day of the salts n the levels are stable
Can't say what happens when he ties is a 45 gallon first tank to the 120
We will see

OP
OP
LILBUDDHA

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem .
I was at 34 ml a day on my 57 rimless .
I am moving so everything is boxed up or in that process .
Going to a 80 build ...Starts next week .

OP
OP
LILBUDDHA

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it all SPS

Go to my build thread .
I am restocking after the Oct freak storm .In a nutshell I am a stick head if that tells u anything .

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back