EcoTech Battery backup

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you routinely check these batteries. Mine has been installed for almost 8 months, always plugged in. Power went out last night and battery was completely dead :( I never even got to use it. I quickly ran outside, got the garage door open, got the generator running, ran the extension cord into the basement..........and the power came back on :mad:

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one before that was about 2 years old and it saved my tank.

What's the build date? Did you buy new or used? If they've been deep cycled I think they can die. I always check every few months the battery is still good for an hour or two.

You can also drill the rivets out and replace the battery yourself.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used 2 in the past, both had a life span of 1 year after that they did not work any more.
I had a ticket with their CS and asked couple of times but they never answered these tickets....

I have read here and there that you need to depleat the battery every 3 months and not keep it on charge all the time. Meaning every 3 months unplug the ac power from the pump and let it use the battery. But I do not know how reliable this claim is...

Miker79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To check the battery make sure you disconnect the charger first. I used to check mine periodically by just removing the 24v plug but that isn’t enough. Remove the power from the charger because that can run the pump even if the battery is dead.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that really seams like a bad deal if it only last 1 yr. a UPC for a computer will go yrs w/o any issue.

Miker79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it has to do with the trickle charger ecotech uses. I’ve been considering swapping mine out for a smart charger/ maintainer. The only thing that is in the battery backup is a battery and connectors no electronics whatsoever, there isn’t even a fuse in the enclosure.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back