Ecotech Coral Lab info

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading the “report” about the Ecotech coral lab and their suggestions about the AB+ settings and how it grows corals beautifully, and I was just wondering, did any indipendent lab tested those claims? Obviously it is rather hard to test coral growth in different settings, as different systems can grow them at different rates depending on many other factors rather than light But.. Doesn’t it seem weird to take for granted the recommendations of a self-referenced “lab” paid by the company that actually sells that light? Is there any indipendent scientific study (better if in peer-reviewed journals) about what light, assuming same water conditions, grows corals better/faster?

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading the “report” about the Ecotech coral lab and their suggestions about the AB+ settings and how it grows corals beautifully, and I was just wondering, did any indipendent lab tested those claims? Obviously it is rather hard to test coral growth in different settings, as different systems can grow them at different rates depending on many other factors rather than light But.. Doesn’t it seem weird to take for granted the recommendations of a self-referenced “lab” paid by the company that actually sells that light? Is there any indipendent scientific study (better if in peer-reviewed journals) about what light, assuming same water conditions, grows corals better/faster?
That's a good question. They did a video on BRS TV on it so I'm pretty sure it's a good setting but who knows if it's been studied by a lab without compensation. I do run it on on my AI prime 16HD. Just set my tank up though and got the light two days ago so I don't have any results yet.

OP
OP
CEReefer

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good question. They did a video on BRS TV on it so I'm pretty sure it's a good setting but who knows if it's been studied by a lab without compensation. I do run it on on my AI prime 16HD. Just set my tank up though and got the light two days ago so I don't have any results yet.
Right.. but you know BRS has to sell you the lights, also they didn’t have communicating systems, meaning if you have 3 indipendent systems you can’t guarantee there isn’t another factor inhibiting/stimulating growth, you gotta have connected system, sharing water/filtration to eliminate that variable.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two coral frags imaged above started at approximately equal sized 1” frags from the same mother colony. Both frags were grown out in the same coral system under different lighting conditions holding flow and chemistry constant. Both of the images show sixteen weeks of acclimation and growth time. The frag on the left was grown under a 250w Phoenix* 14k metal halide bulb and the frag on the right was grown under the Radion® G3 Pro LED. The difference in growth between the metal halide and LED spectrum is clearly observable, but also very importantly to RW the coloration that developed under the Radion appears more intense. Additionally the white tips seen under the Radion® LED indicate the rapid growth rate of the colony.

Feel free to duplicate it..

2014.. Nothing changes..

Last edited:

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right.. but you know BRS has to sell you the lights, also they didn’t have communicating systems, meaning if you have 3 indipendent systems you can’t guarantee there isn’t another factor inhibiting/stimulating growth, you gotta have connected system, sharing water/filtration to eliminate that variable.
Well yea that's kind of a given. You cannot definitively say that purley the lights caused the immaculate results. However, Randy and Ryan know their s**t. They've been reef keeping for a long time and I would pretty much do whatever they say. If they went out and researched this on their own it probably holds some water... No pun intended. But that's my personal feeling. dang good question though bro Looking forward to the responses. I'm sure someone in this community will be able to give a good answer.

OP
OP
CEReefer

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Feel free to duplicate it..

2014.. Nothing changes..
If only I had time, but science is what I do as a job. And can’t get manufacturers (or whoever sells them) results for granted, especially without any peer review. But that’s me. Same as saying “the biggest coral vendors (WWC, etc..) use them”, sure, they get them free or almost free to endorse them.. just wondering if any serious study was ever done as I couldn’t find any, but if anyone has any, please post it

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC doesn't even follow AB+ to a "T". They use it as a baseline and modify it, as many of us do. Some openly share their profiles, some like to keep it to themselves.

Duberz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe those wwc templates are obsolete now since the switched over to g5's. They should update or add the new profiles.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe those wwc templates are obsolete now since the switched over to g5's. They should update or add the new profiles.
Point still stands (actually more relevant since coral lab was done with G4s, right?). G5 (blue)s were just designed to follow AB+ more closely, you can still tune them to your liking.

Also, not in the company's best interest to suggest suboptimal settings (at least to them). Makes their product look bad.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect light intensity is more important than spectrum, at least for Porites lobata.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 45.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 71 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.4%
Back