Ecotech MP40 Noise

Asimkz79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, has anyone experienced an annoying sound coming from MP40? I just got this pump and according to Ecotech Marine, the pump needs time to break out. I'm attaching a video. Has anyone had the same issue with their new pump and how long did it take for the noise to go away completely?

Attachments

• Video_1.mov
    1.8 MB

135reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 6x MP40s on my 160 in-wall. Couple of tips but your mileage may vary.

1) Turn the controller off before attaching the wet side
2) Rotate the wet side counterclockwise (CCW) a few rotations to float the head over the center of the dry side. Don't go CW or you will likely detach the guard.
3) Turn the controller on at a medium output. If you have noise, slowly rotate the wet side CCW until it stops.

I think I have about 10-12 wet sides that I rotate through so I can pull them out 2-6 at a time and swap in cleaned ones. Then I can soak and clean the others in citric acid when convenient.

Been Caught Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, has anyone experienced an annoying sound coming from MP40? I just got this pump and according to Ecotech Marine, the pump needs time to break out. I'm attaching a video. Has anyone had the same issue with their new pump and how long did it take for the noise to go away completely?
I know this is older, but my new one is making a whistling or squeaking noise. I can’t play your file to see if this is what you had as well?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to do micro adjustments with the wet and dry side to find the sweet spot with no noise perfectly centered.

vitaliyphoto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mean to resurrect this thread but my dry side is also very noisy. I was instructed by Ecotech to run the pump for 2 weeks and reach out if it doesn’t get better. I am, however confused how a pump that costs 6x that of a Jebao pump can have this much issues. Never had issues like these with a Jebao pumps, I think there’s logic to my old way of thinking- I can replace 5 jebaos at the cost of single mp40. Went for this pump only because of the through the glass design. But running into Mobius chip shortages without backwards compatibility to my older mp40, noise issues, and steep costs I am deeply disappointed another knock off brand was not able to make these pumps for fraction of costs.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back