Ecotech MP40sQD

Quoc Vu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has experience with the MP line of powerheads having this rusted crack magnet issue? I bought a used power head recently and it looks like image below? Is this a common thing? If so that is terrible for such an expensive high end item? Any feed back is appreciated. Makes me not want an MP40qd anymore.
1593320307202.jpeg

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this does happen with the wetsides for the MP series from time to time, there was a thread that addressed this specific issue (link below). Also do you know if it's been cleaned with vinegar prior? I've been reading that it happens more often when folks use white vinegar to clean with, it breaks down the plastics and magnets allowing for this type of issue to happen over time. It's just one potential culprit. I've made the switch to citric acid now because of this.... I will say I've had one of my MP10s for 5 years now with no issue (and it's been cleaned with vinegar).

If you want to know more about the vinegar effect there is a thread going for it.

OP
OP
Quoc Vu

Quoc Vu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this does happen with the wetsides for the MP series from time to time, there was a thread that addressed this specific issue (link below). Also do you know if it's been cleaned with vinegar prior? I've been reading that it happens more often when folks use white vinegar to clean with, it breaks down the plastics and magnets allowing for this type of issue to happen over time. It's just one potential culprit. I've made the switch to citric acid now because of this.... I will say I've had one of my MP10s for 5 years now with no issue (and it's been cleaned with vinegar).

If you want to know more about the vinegar effect there is a thread going for it.

wow that was very informative thank you. i do not know how it was cleaned.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, this is a known possible issue.
generally though Ecotech will take care of the issue.

it’s not all MP pumps, just a small number

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 53 73.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back