MP40 cracked and magnet completely rusted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My MP40 wet side has cracked and the magnets completely rusted... it is several years old and worked flawslessly, but still shouldn't fail like this. I have had a few ICP results showing high metals and couldn't see anything obvious, I changed cabinet hinges etc and eventually after a few months I decided to reinspect everything more closely, As I had lost a few SPS colonies, I really never expected to find so much damage and rust behind the rear plate... very unimpressed. If these wet sides have a finite lifespan we need to know as a part designed to specifically work underwater should not fail like this...
IMG_0465.JPG
IMG_0467.JPG

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were running a damaged product. I'm pretty sure they wont cover it. Its like saying that you ran out of oil on your car but drove it anyways and now the motor blew and you want to use the warranty to replace the motor. Better to just order another wet side if you can afford it.

Dayson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen to me on my QD. Actually a pretty common problem. They replaced mine even though it was out of warranty.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were running a damaged product. I'm pretty sure they wont cover it. Its like saying that you ran out of oil on your car but drove it anyways and now the motor blew and you want to use the warranty to replace the motor. Better to just order another wet side if you can afford it.
How did you come up with the analogy ?

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want anything, I'm not after a replacement!!! It's 6 years old and was actually still running, was a bit noisy but was fine. Im annoyed because a premium product by a premium company should not fail like this. I'm posting this purely to warn others to inspect very carefully and to remove the end plate and check for hairline cracks... In my opinion any product designed to be underwater should have zero chance of rusting full stop, I've had Tunze magnets over 10 years old that are still fine...

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a common problem. There are posts all over the internet concerning it. Just google vortech rusting and look at all the pics. All the fanboys can praise it all they want but ecotech needs to do something about it. Btw I also run mp40’s but mainly for the safety factor as i have had cheap powerheads burn out in my tank.

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be pretty common in Vortechs, not only that, the shafts are made from some tungsten alloy instead of something a little more premium like titanium which you might expect on a 350 dollar pump. You should really take your pumps out and give them a good clean monthly if you own Vortechs to catch issues like these early since they're clearly not going to increase the quality any time soon.

Asif Iqbal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnot have rusting but my wet side started jamming up with error code on controller. I bought a new wetside this time a quietdrive version.., very pleased lot quieter and works like a charm! Bought it on BRS

firefishalumacraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this on my Mp40Wes I fig that out of 5 years of running them 24hrs a day 365 Ill take a 79$ pump. Parts wear out after time. I fig it this way, if your bought your car new and ran it for 24/365 from 0-max rpm your 50k car would be warn out with 43800hrs some people look at 5 year old cars as warn out.

Asif Iqbal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this on my Mp40Wes I fig that out of 5 years of running them 24hrs a day 365 Ill take a 79$ pump. Parts wear out after time. I fig it this way, if your bought your car new and ran it for 24/365 from 0-max rpm your 50k car would be warn out with 43800hrs some people look at 5 year old cars as warn out.

At the end of the day, it’s salt water we are talking about and eventually everything will corrode and go bad...
Ofcourse it’s a choice to go with a 79 dollar pump or 75 dollar quiet drive wet side

The dry side motor usually fine.. take care

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about wear and tear if the motor had given up I wouldn't have minded, after this time,but not parts rusting, which are designed to be used underwater and especially that ecotech know of the problem and don't seem to be rectifying it... at best they should have a warning that parts may corrode and potentially pollute your tank over time... it's complete indifference by a profiteering company..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back