MP40 cracked and magnet completely rusted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't out responsibility to clean, inspect our equipment for failures often??..
Yes and what happens when we find a fault, people rally to defend the manufacturers... and it's a manufacturers responsibility to build a product that doesn't corrode!!! How can people possibly defend them, it's one part of this hobby that infuriates me, we should all be rallying against them and forcing them to deliver the product as advertised.. to many manufacturer fan boys making excuses for shoddy products

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an mp40 and love it, I’ve had it 6 years. I’m on my second wet side, first started making noise after about 4 years and I had a spare. Neither wet side has any signs of corrosion like this, this is a new issue. My guess is that ecotech changed something in their manufacturing process, probably to lower their cost, and this is the result. This is 100% on them and they should be addressing the problem. They established a name for themselves by having a superior product, it’s sad the hear that isn’t the case any more. My plan was to buy another mp40 for my current build but I’ll have to look at alternatives, at least until they address this issue. Really is a shame.

Last edited:

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to go clean my MP40WES tonight and found it all rusted out on the magnet. It is a 2013 model that I bought used so it looks like I’ll have to buy a new wet side. I just chalk it up to an inferior product to the QD model but we’ll see. My MP40WQD still looks good after a year.

On the even further downside I think I found out why my Red Dragon Acro frag was paling out. So I did a 10% water change and put my skimmer to skim wet. It’s now slimming all over the place.

PlasmaBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found the same thing with my MP40, will have to check the other two !

PlasmaBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other two seem fine, go figure it was the newer one.

So this explains why the Westside got noisy three weeks back and why suddenly I lost two sps colonies this week! You bet ya I’m ******! Like what the heck it would have taken $3 to coat that magnet properly ***. Luckily I new something was up by the way the SPS were behaving.

I’m going to be religiously checking every magnet now.

So ok , it’s a salty environment yet things wear out, interesting how they manage to seal 240v pumps, but magnets nope!

Anyway rant done . I have a feeling it was some of the later es models and early wd models.

siphco32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 MP40s about 10 years ago, and to be honest I only took them out and cleaned them for the first time about 6 months ago. At that time, I did not notice anything wrong with the magnets and the units seemed to be working fine. I soaked both of the units in vinegar overnight at that time to remove the coralline algae encrusting them. 2 months ago, both units started to get very noisy and failed within a week of each other. Don't know if it is coincidence or not but I find it odd that they ran for 10 years, and both failed less than 4 months after cleaning them in Vinegar. I don't remember any damage jumping out at me about the magnets,
but they are definitely both cracked and rusted now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back