2 WHITES
2 VIOLETS

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When there are lights out there like the Uno 2.0 Pro, this light is too risky of a purchase. I'm not interested in testing this thing beyond what I've already shared. I don't want any "well telegraham said it performed well" 10 minutes after the light gave up the ghost.

What makes this Chinese light any more risky than any of the other Chinese lights that you've used or recommended in the past? Or is it just that the Uno 2.0 Pro is the end-all for cheap-ish reef lighting?

It seems like an XR30 knockoff at (less than) an XR15 price would be something that people would like to see reviewed.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes this Chinese light any more risky than any of the other Chinese lights that you've used or recommended in the past? Or is it just that the Uno 2.0 Pro is the end-all for cheap-ish reef lighting?

It seems like an XR30 knockoff at (less than) an XR15 price would be something that people would like to see reviewed.
Price. The A8 is $400 and support may, or may not, exist. There's also the unfriendly software. That's very different than the sub-$200 Nicrew or Smatfarm. Additionally, if the Nicrew or Smat arrive inop, they can easily be returned to Amazon. When compared to the populargrow bars, populargrow have been very responsive on AliE, and at $45 for a 24" bar, we're back to minimal money risk.

As for the alternative, the Uno Pro 2.0 offers 25% more wattage in the cottage than an genuine XR30, a spectrum that no Radion can match, great support, active software development, and it's only $480. That's $20 less than the comparatively weak XR15.

My position is that the knockoff offers nothing compelling that you can't get from a legitimate light like the ReeFi. The A8 is a novelty. It captured attention just because of its looks.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When there are lights out there like the Uno 2.0 Pro, this light is too risky of a purchase. I'm not interested in testing this thing beyond what I've already shared. I don't want any "well telegraham said it performed well" 10 minutes after the light gave up the ghost.
What if I told you that some of these lights can now be had for $200? Still not worth the reveiw?

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll review the A7. It cost about $120 I think.

It’s a kessil by all appearances in chassis. The matrix isn’t as tight as the Kessil…which is obvious. It also has a single, 1/4-20 screw hole on top; which is awesome because mounting options are limitless (same mount as most cameras and gopros and things). The knobs are odd and do weird things.

The software: Is Awful. The “English” version is completely broken. The “save to device” button is broken. The Chinese version is easy to use. Just take a second phone or tablet, download google translate, and hold the camera-enabled google translate over the Chinese app on the first phone and it will translate in real time. Once I came up with this trick it took me 5 minutes to program.

The A7 COMES with what looks like a 90deg and 55deg lens. Kessil charges $30 a pop for those. I’m using the 55deg lens and it tightens the matrix into looking exactly like a kessil. YES, the kessil narrow reflector does work on it as well.

I’m putting 3 in between 4 Radion XR30’s over a 7’ foot tank and while I’m waiting on the other 2, I’m very happy. It gives a bit of the energy Kessils give with the shimmer and using ball mounts that fit on the Radion RMS rail they’re basically little spot lights if I want to aim them.

Given the option of spending $900 on a 5th Radion or $300 for 3 of these, I made a great choice. I get the kessil look I miss but the growing ability of my Radions.

I purchased mine from a little import website for reef equipment. I don’t think I can mention them but would via DM. We have been working through communication but they’re actively interested in trying to provide customer support. The power supply died pretty quickly (it’s so common I had an extra more reliable one laying around) and they’re sending me a new one with the extra lights I ordered.

This is 100% a viable option over Kessils for those on a budget looking to add supplemental lighting for T5’s or Radions or lighting a PICO. (I don’t recommend Kessils as a main light to anyone- generic or real).

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's the A8se, not the A8. The difference being (according to them), the A8 uses "brand name" LED diodes and a Mean Well PSU. The A8se uses generic "Chinese" diodes and PSU, hence the price difference.

How much (if any) that changes the performance (whatever that performance actually is), I guess we'll never know.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If spending my money, not for me. If someone wants to share the light for a review, maybe. The A7 and A8 just weren't enjoyable to use.
For $120 for the A7 do you not think it is worth it? Just looking at maybe adding one to supplement some shimmer to my tank. Was thinking of setting the color spectrum by using the app and a wifi timer plug to control off and on.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If spending my money, not for me. If someone wants to share the light for a review, maybe. The A7 and A8 just weren't enjoyable to use.
What didn’t you like about the A7? Full disclosure I ran Kessil A360x’s for years and I’m enjoying it but have it only for a few weeks. Would like long term/mid term incite

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What didn’t you like about the A7? Full disclosure I ran Kessil A360x’s for years and I’m enjoying it but have it only for a few weeks. Would like long term/mid term incite
It could totally turn out to be a great budget light long term, but I'm not a fan of point-source lighting. That, and the software was meh. If someone created an English version that worked, it would be a way different situation. I'll have to find the spectrum shot of that thing. Don't think I grabbed it off the SD card.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $120 for the A7 do you not think it is worth it? Just looking at maybe adding one to supplement some shimmer to my tank. Was thinking of setting the color spectrum by using the app and a wifi timer plug to control off and on.
If I were shopping, I'd personally try this first - https://a.co/d/f4IYQMh

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly why even bother. Just keep an eye out and buy used gear off someone upgrading or getting out. I have a gen3 radion laying around i picked up for $100. Still works fine. Does it have all the bells and whistles a gen 6 does? No but itll grow the hell out of some coral for pennies on the dollar.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly why even bother. Just keep an eye out and buy used gear off someone upgrading or getting out. I have a gen3 radion laying around i picked up for $100. Still works fine. Does it have all the bells and whistles a gen 6 does? No but itll grow the hell out of some coral for pennies on the dollar.
Totally this. I, too, have a box of Gen 2/3/4 Radions for spares and shares. That, and I'll take a Gen 4 over a Gen 6 all day long.

But...if someone is looking to address a specific lighting need, and the sub-$200 light from Amazon meets that need, that works, too. Nicrew and Smatfarm are good options, and it's possible that the easily returned Lominie could be added to that list.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could totally turn out to be a great budget light long term, but I'm not a fan of point-source lighting. That, and the software was meh. If someone created an English version that worked, it would be a way different situation. I'll have to find the spectrum shot of that thing. Don't think I grabbed it off the SD card.
Oh. I understand. I dropped the Kessils for the exact reason. I don’t think spotlights make for great primary lighting sources either.

The software is a bummer. I wrote a post about how you can easily use a second phone and google translate to program the Chinese app if you decide to take another shot at it.

Im interested in PAR numbers. That’s what we are all here for I suppose. I have 2 more A7’s on order and I’m thinking about setting up a little testing station and using the PAR meter for a full review.

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing this kind of stuff. It just goes to show you the margin they are making on the radions. Premier LEDs and a good power supply doesn’t cost an additional $700 even after a fair markup it’s still crazy, even for a great product. I also like how so many company’s are now doing panel style lights. The black boxes that have been selling for $100 each for years are the same format. If they could come up with a decent app and add a few more UV LEDs they would dominate the market at $200 a box. You could have a tank 100% covered with black box panels for pennies on the dollar compared to the name brand offerings. Fun fact I modified two black boxes to AB+ ratio for about $50. The app was no longer supported and I had to ditch them. But they were amazing for growth.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is less a Radion knockoff, but you can definitely see the influence. The color choices for the LEDs is what caught my attention and, at 150w, it falls right smack in between the XR15 and XR30, while being $100+ cheaper than the XR15.

LEDs: 56 pcs

UV 395-400nm: 2 pcs
Purple 415-420nm: 2 pcs
Deep blue: 440-445nm: 8 pcs
Blue 460-465m: 12 pcs
Light blue 470-475nm: 14 pcs
Cyan 480-490nm: 6 pcs
Green 520-525nm: 6 pcs
Red 620-625nm: 6 pcs
Warm white 3000K: 6 pcs
Cold white 8500K: 6 pcs

1679574062154.png