Ecotech s2

RSREEFING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, just out of curiosity. What's the smallest tank you would use a ecotech s2 return pump on?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seams kind of backwards to build a tank around a pump instead of choosing the right pump for your tank. Sicce 1.0 comes to mind for that small of a tank.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seams kind of backwards to build a tank around a pump instead of choosing the right pump for your tank.
Unless you already have other ecotech gear and you want control of everything on Mobius or to future proof so you don't have to buy another one if you upgrade your tank. I have a 40g with a 20g sump and the S2 is over powered for it. I keep it turned way down. I'm not at home to check, but I believe it's below 50%. Luckily, you can run it quite slow so it would work in a small tank (though 20 might be pushing it) but think about how you're spending for all that power you'll never be able to access. Like buying a Corvette and never leaving your subdivision.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you already have other ecotech gear and you want control of everything on Mobius or to future proof so you don't have to buy another one if you upgrade your tank. I have a 40g with a 20g sump and the S2 is over powered for it. I keep it turned way down. I'm not at home to check, but I believe it's below 50%. Luckily, you can run it quite slow so it would work in a small tank (though 20 might be pushing it) but think about how you're spending for all that power you'll never be able to access. Like buying a Corvette and never leaving your subdivision.
I suppose that makes a lot of sense if you already have the pump and wanted the interface.
Personally if I was looking to move into a subdivision and never planed on leaving the subdivision, I wouldn't buy the corvette before the house.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose that makes a lot of sense if you already have the pump and wanted the interface.
Personally if I was looking to move into a subdivision and never planed on leaving the subdivision, I wouldn't buy the corvette before the house.
Corvette always comes first!!!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Ecotech S1 on my 34 gallon RSR 170. Liked the controllability and reliability! Definitely overkill but a great pump. Was very easy to resell for an excellent price when I upgraded to a larger aquarium.

OP
OP
R

RSREEFING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seams kind of backwards to build a tank around a pump instead of choosing the right pump for your tank. Sicce 1.0 comes to mind for that small of a tank.
All I have left to get is the pump and plumbing for the tank. I'm planning on getting a 80 gallon tank within the next year or so and moving the s2 over. I do want something that I'm able to control.

OP
OP
R

RSREEFING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have 2 mp10s and 2 xr 15 g5s, and 1 versa that I'm able to control on the app. Was hoping to have everything under one place.

OP
OP
R

RSREEFING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on getting a 80 gallon within a year or so and using this current build as a frag tank. Then moving the s2 to that tank.Any suggestions on a pump that's controllable?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back