EcoTech vortech mp40 review

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My old Jebao wave maker has stop working. I’m looking to purchase a new reliable wave maker for my 4 feet mix reef. I was searching the best and found the Vortech MP40. However there is a lot of bad review about it like rust magnet and loud noises. I want to get you guys input before making this pricy decision. Thanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont use the mp40s unfortunately, but I do use the mp10s and love them and have a little knowledge in the mp40s. What happens with the pumps westside is the magnet housing cracks and let's saltwater in, the magnet then rusts and the housing swells even more causing a noise. Proper maintenence and regular cleaning and inspection can help prevent this or catch it early before the magnet has a chance to rust and leak into the tank :) cleaning it in rodi water instead of diluted vinegar I've heard helps as well

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All magnets immersed in salt water run the risk of rusting. You have to inspect them regularly. Early MP40 QD models had some issues with cracking magnets, though that appears to have been remedied. QD models are not noisy at all.

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 150 I ran 2 mp40s at around 3/4 power ln reef mode but opposite timings and worked great for my scape. As for noise, ive noticed a few people didnt set the outside rubber foot to the proper glass thickness which in turn creates a stronger than needed magnetic pull on the wet side of the pump making a funny noise. On my 40s there is a slight whirling noise but nothing major. I plan on running them again in my new setup.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does this wave maker usually last? The rust magnet was a problem in the early quite drive not the new wireless quite drive?

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran them for around 3 years but unfortunately had to break down my tank, so they been sitting for around 8 or so years and last week got them out of the closet and they’re working just as they were when I broke down my tank. Also mine are the older versions one is wired the other is wireless. I haven’t had a problem with my magnets, even after all these years they’re still like the day I got them but it could be different for others.

Last edited:

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my mp40s and mp10 had them for years without a problem. No noise and no wires in the tank.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does this wave maker usually last? The rust magnet was a problem in the early quite drive not the new wireless quite drive?

I am unaware of any changes to the quiet drive pumps, regardless of whether they are wireless or not (FWIW, only the MP10 is available without the wireless card). As long as you follow the instructions for dryside mounting, and don't get water in it or the driver, they'll last for a decade. The wetside wears out. ETM suggests replacing it every 18 months, though my own experience across almost a dozen of them is that the wetside will last much longer than that. My trio of MP40QD are 3-4 years and show no signs of needing a replacement. I think a good percentage of the problems with these pumps are user error.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unaware of any changes to the quiet drive pumps, regardless of whether they are wireless or not (FWIW, only the MP10 is available without the wireless card). As long as you follow the instructions for dryside mounting, and don't get water in it or the driver, they'll last for a decade. The wetside wears out. ETM suggests replacing it every 18 months, though my own experience across almost a dozen of them is that the wetside will last much longer than that. My trio of MP40QD are 3-4 years and show no signs of needing a replacement. I think a good percentage of the problems with these pumps are user error.

This is not a guarantee. EcoTech only warranties the pumps for one year after the date of purchase. If a problem comes up outside of the warranty period, you're paying to fix it yourself. The rusting magnet/impeller assembly is a good reminder that while EcoTech has a good reputation for quality, even the best get it wrong sometimes. It doesn't matter how long a pump "can" last. The longest EcoTech is willing to bet that their Vortech pumps will last is one year.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a guarantee. EcoTech only warranties the pumps for one year after the date of purchase. If a problem comes up outside of the warranty period, you're paying to fix it yourself. The rusting magnet/impeller assembly is a good reminder that while EcoTech has a good reputation for quality, even the best get it wrong sometimes. It doesn't matter how long a pump "can" last. The longest EcoTech is willing to bet that their Vortech pumps are going to last is one year.

I actually disagree with every word .... after the first five. The only 'guarantee' is that ETM will fix any problem not a result of operator stupidity for a year; beyond that it is as I noted: absent said stupidity, the dryside/driver should last for a decade (I have two that are approaching 8 years). I think you don't understand the concept of a warranty. It has nothing to do with the useable life of something, rather that what you buy is fit for use as represented and free from defective material and workmanship (failures of both will manifest within the warranty period for the most part). Do you actually assume that everything you buy will only last as long as the warranty LOL? I certainly do not, and it absolutely matters how long something can last.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually disagree with every word .... after the first five. The only 'guarantee' is that ETM will fix any problem not a result of operator stupidity for a year; beyond that it is as I noted: absent said stupidity, the dryside/driver should last for a decade (I have two that are approaching 8 years). I think you don't understand the concept of a warranty. It has nothing to do with the useable life of something, rather that what you buy is fit for use as represented and free from defective material and workmanship (failures of both will manifest within the warranty period for the most part). Do you actually assume that everything you buy will only last as long as the warranty LOL? I certainly do not, and it absolutely matters how long something can last.

I understand exactly how a warranty works. I also understand that if something breaks outside of warranty, then I am responsible for fixing it. I don't assume that everything will last only as long as the warranty, but I take that into consideration along with the price. Since EcoTech pumps are relatively expensive, it's definitely something I consider.

The impeller/magnet assembly rusting is an excellent example of why a short warranty period should be considered when making a purchase. The rusting had nothing to do with operator stupidity, it was a manufacturing defect that EcoTech fixed in later models. If you discovered this flaw after the one year warranty period, EcoTech was not obliged to fix the fault for free. Those pumps "can" or "could" have lasted a decade like you said. But they didn't. Suddenly, the one year warranty becomes very relevant.

If you feel comfortable buying a product with a short warranty because it has a good reputation, that's fine. I don't hold it against you personally, nor do I hope to change your mind. I do think the short warranty period is worth mentioning, especially since the OP mentioned some quality control issues with previous generations.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand exactly how a warranty works. I also understand that if something breaks outside of warranty, then I am responsible for fixing it. I don't assume that everything will last only as long as the warranty, but I take that into consideration along with the price. Since EcoTech pumps are relatively expensive, it's definitely something I consider.

The impeller/magnet assembly rusting is an excellent example of why a short warranty period should be considered when making a purchase. The rusting had nothing to do with operator stupidity, it was a manufacturing defect that EcoTech fixed in later models. If you discovered this flaw after the one year warranty period, EcoTech was not obliged to fix the fault for free. Those pumps "can" or "could" have lasted a decade like you said. But they didn't. Suddenly, the one year warranty becomes very relevant.

If you feel comfortable buying a product with a short warranty because it has a good reputation, that's fine. I don't hold it against you personally, nor do I hope to change your mind. I do think the short warranty period is worth mentioning, especially since the OP mentioned some quality control issues with previous generations.
Do we know when they have fixed the issue?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have old MP's.....four 40's and a hand full of 10's. Here's what I know......don't clean the wetside in vinegar (or any acid). It accelerates the failure of the plastic cover over the magnet. I've had to replace three of the wetsides on the 40's because of swelling magnets. So my wetsides (especially the magnet) now only sees water when getting cleaned. On occasion, I'll soak the "cage" in vinegar to clean off coraline.

On my drysides, I've replaced bearing in one of my MP10.

Otherwise, I never run at 100%.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I’m looking for a part for my old mp40 wet side. The little white thing that the little rubber at the base of the impeller eco tech no longer carry’s it anyone know where I may be able to find it ?

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 2015 MP40wQD that’s still good, quiet and no rust. Also using a 2013 MP40wES with a new QD wetside and no issues with it. I did replace the original 2013 wetside due to I cracked the cage. So far I’m very happy with both.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I’m looking for a part for my old mp40 wet side. The little white thing that the little rubber at the base of the impeller eco tech no longer carry’s it anyone know where I may be able to find it ?

Maybe somebody has some old parts laying around (I gave all mine away). If not, you may have to pony up for a new wetside.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Though in many (most?) cases, because it was a 'common' problem, ETM appears to have replaced them for free even beyond the normal warranty period. I had no issues with mine, so perhaps just fortunate. BTW, I have seen more than a few instances where operator failed to read the instructions and used the wrong spacer. I'd image this could result in excess wear on the wetside and subsequent magnet damage. Operator stupidity can be pervasive LOL.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe somebody has some old parts laying around (I gave all mine away). If not, you may have to pony up for a new wetside.

Yea was hoping someone had some ideas. I already got a new wet side just wanted to fix it to have as a backup or to use when I take out one to be cleaned.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a total of 6 morning 40’s qd’s. Mostly have had good luck so far. Although I did have one rt out the box that was super loud and shuttered horribly. I had experience setting up a bunch of money 10’s which I love. No problem ever. So when I had called eco tech to get a new one sent it was a big hassle. They acted as if I was not properly setting it up and told me to give it a week. I explained I have several already and know this is a bad unit. The guy argued w me. So my experience is mixed. Not many problems but when I did have one eco tech was horrible to try to deal with. I ended up having to go back to where I bought it and warranty thru them which I waited close to a month to receive a new wet end only and then had issues w that as soon as set up. The customer service there SUCKS. Especially after they knew I had spent a crapload of money on m1’s and radions and many MPs. Was Very disapointed

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a total of 6 morning 40’s qd’s. Mostly have had good luck so far. Although I did have one rt out the box that was super loud and shuttered horribly. I had experience setting up a bunch of money 10’s which I love. No problem ever. So when I had called eco tech to get a new one sent it was a big hassle. They acted as if I was not properly setting it up and told me to give it a week. I explained I have several already and know this is a bad unit. The guy argued w me. So my experience is mixed. Not many problems but when I did have one eco tech was horrible to try to deal with. I ended up having to go back to where I bought it and warranty thru them which I waited close to a month to receive a new wet end only and then had issues w that as soon as set up. The customer service there SUCKS. Especially after they knew I had spent a crapload of money on m1’s and radions and many MPs. Was Very disapointed

I think your experience with EcoTech is out of the ordinary. Each time I've dealt with their service dept, I have gotten nothing but great service. And for one of the pumps, out of the warranty period. Keep in mind, MP10's and 40's do take a week to break in and although YOU may know the difference, the average shopper would not. For them to replace each pump that anyone would have called about when there is no real issue, would be a dumb and expensive way to run a business. You should have either run it for a week, or keep it off the tank. Call them back and say problem persists, you would have a new wet side in the mail the next day.

I'll give you an example of my last 2 experiences. First one the power supply for my XR15 stopped working for whatever reason, it was after hours, so I sent them an email saying what had happened. First thing in the AM I got a reply saying that they need me to call in with the serial number and they'll have a replacement sent. I called 2 hours later, they said they already found a number in their records, confirmed it was correct, confirmed my address was the same as on file and the power supply was in the mail same day. When my MP10 started to make noise I contacted them again. They replied asking me to shoot a quick video to show how it sounds, which I did and emailed. Then they asked me to take apart the wetside and snap pics to confirm that it wasnt jammed with a snail or other things. Now I know it wasnt, but I snapped the pics, sent them over and next morning a new wetside was on my way. I understood that it was a dumb exercise for me to do, but I also understand there are prob a ton of dumb people that wouldnt have checked for that before contacting service so I put their mind at ease.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back