Edmonton: Fedex refusing to ship livestock

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A seller (who is not at fault in any way) tried to ship livestock to me via Fedex (in-province) yesterday. Fedex called me to tell me that they "don't accept live animals" and "never have done this". When I pointed out that I've received several shipments of livestock from Fragbox and other suppliers via Fedex in the past few months, I was met with silence. FYI for anyone in the area who needs to ship livestock. FWIW, I've not had any problems with Purolator.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum...... maybe they were thinking livestock was cows and sheep type stuff

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A seller (who is not at fault in any way) tried to ship livestock to me via Fedex (in-province) yesterday. Fedex called me to tell me that they "don't accept live animals" and "never have done this". When I pointed out that I've received several shipments of livestock from Fragbox and other suppliers via Fedex in the past few months, I was met with silence. FYI for anyone in the area who needs to ship livestock. FWIW, I've not had any problems with Purolator.

Ya, there must be some confusion on their part. I receive livestock from New Dawn in Edmonton via FedEx regularly.

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum...... maybe they were thinking livestock was cows and sheep type stuff
The seller delivered the shipment (a box) to them. Fedex then called me to carry on like a teenager and whine about the situation. I explained that I was the recipient, and not the seller. I further stated that this was the first that I'd heard of their policy, and asked them (politely) to tell me when it had changed, as I'd used them in the past many, many times for the same thing. The silence was deafening in return. I then suggested that Fedex talk to the shipper directly and that I WAS THE RECIPIENT. Further confusion ensued. I then took a much-needed bath.

I'd love to try to ship a cow via Fedex, or perhaps a bird. My neighbour has chickens, and I'd ask her for one as an experiment, but I just know that someone at Fedex would sit on the box and squash it.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their US policy dated October 2018

Animals, Ornamental Marine Life (Including Live Fish) and Animal CarcassesA. FedEx Express does not accept live-animal shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service and does not transport household pets such as dogs, cats, birds and hamsters. FedEx Express may accept certain shipments of live animals such as horses, livestock and zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) on an exception basis if approved and coordinated by the FedEx Animal Desk (call 1.800.405.9052). If approved by FedEx, we may accept non-venomous reptiles, amphibians, live/ tropical fish and beneficial insects on an exception basis under the following conditions:1. Shipments must be from a business to a business (from a breeder to a pet store, for example).2. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped. Call 1.800.633.7019 for assistance. It is the responsibility of the shipper to adequately package shipments for all temperature extremes and handling conditions. B. FedEx Express does not accept animal carcass shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service. FedEx Express may accept certain shipments of animal heads and other parts for taxidermy if properly packaged.If approved by FedEx, we may accept animal carcasses, organs and other parts on an exception basis under the following conditions:1. Shipments must be approved by the FedEx Animal Desk (call 1.800.405.9052).2. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal carcass, organ or part being shipped. Call 1.800.633.7019 for assistance. It is the responsibility of the shipper to adequately package shipments for all temperature extremes and handling conditions. Contact your FedEx account executive for details and additional requirements.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"1. Shipments must be from a business to a business (from a breeder to a pet store, for example).2. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped."

I wonder if this part is the issue and somebody at FedEx is 'going by the book'

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their US policy dated October 2018

Animals, Ornamental Marine Life (Including Live Fish) and Animal CarcassesA. FedEx Express does not accept live-animal shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service and does not transport household pets such as dogs, cats, birds and hamsters. FedEx Express may accept certain shipments of live animals such as horses, livestock and zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) on an exception basis if approved and coordinated by the FedEx Animal Desk (call 1.800.405.9052). If approved by FedEx, we may accept non-venomous reptiles, amphibians, live/ tropical fish and beneficial insects on an exception basis under the following conditions:1. Shipments must be from a business to a business (from a breeder to a pet store, for example).2. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped. Call 1.800.633.7019 for assistance. It is the responsibility of the shipper to adequately package shipments for all temperature extremes and handling conditions. B. FedEx Express does not accept animal carcass shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service. FedEx Express may accept certain shipments of animal heads and other parts for taxidermy if properly packaged.If approved by FedEx, we may accept animal carcasses, organs and other parts on an exception basis under the following conditions:1. Shipments must be approved by the FedEx Animal Desk (call 1.800.405.9052).2. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal carcass, organ or part being shipped. Call 1.800.633.7019 for assistance. It is the responsibility of the shipper to adequately package shipments for all temperature extremes and handling conditions. Contact your FedEx account executive for details and additional requirements.

OP is in Canada so this doesn't apply necessarily, but does make me wonder why liveaquaria has no problems sending boxes via fedex that clearly indicate live animals are inside

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every single fish I've gotten from saltwater fish shipped to my door has come through FedEx, so this doesn't even apply here in the US.

Referring to the list of rules from FedEx above. Not the Op.

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"1. Shipments must be from a business to a business (from a breeder to a pet store, for example).2. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped."

I wonder if this part is the issue and somebody at FedEx is 'going by the book'
I've looked at FedEx Canada's Terms and Conditions and it's completely different.
This is the only line item for this type of shipment:

• Live fish/seafood: We will accept live fish/seafood such as live lobsters or crabs on an exception basis only when FedEx pre-shipment procedures are followed and provided the shipper is in compliance with all applicable provincial and federal laws. Call 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 for details.

I wasn't privy to the seller's conversation with the FedEx representation, so it's possible that FedEx has a reasonable explanation for their behaviour...

...nah. FWIW, I received a shipment of livestock from Edmonton via Purolator this morning. No problems at all.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every single fish I've gotten from saltwater fish shipped to my door has come through FedEx, so this doesn't even apply here in the US.

Referring to the list of rules from FedEx above. Not the Op.
.2. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped.

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.2. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped.
I read that...and also "nah" on that one. Can you imagine what would happen if FedEx actually required all of its shippers to submit to that process? LOTS of livestock (ie: lobsters from Atlantic Canada) get shipped this way, and it's a huge business. They'd lose a ton of money if they actually started to care. I would love to know if FedEx has a lobster pen to test out various shipping materials so that shippers can obtain pre-approval.

Also: this is not 1948 and "fish in plastic bags" does not translate to "a new scientific compound, never before seen, to replace bakelite as a container!" They're plastic bags. A little common sense would be nice! :)

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that this is something the seller should be taking care of and not you. Get a refund if you can.
I wouldn't do that. I feel quite badly for the shipper, who seemed be equally flummoxed. Plus, they're pre-quarantined fish...so I'll drive to get them, if I have to. There's less risk of hitting a moose on the highway at this time of the year, and I'm low on mysis, so I may just make that ten-hour drive.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be based on the hub it ships out of. My local fedex store refused to accept the pickup but directed me to the larger business dropoff center. Basically its a commercial drop off area vs residential.

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be based on the hub it ships out of. My local fedex store refused to accept the pickup but directed me to the larger business dropoff center. Basically its a commercial drop off area vs residential.
The seller says that he was directed to this particular depot by another FedEx depot. Looks like some additional training's in order here...

Back