Educational Touch Tank (cold water)

kaiserc175

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 12, 2022
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, all,

I work at an outdoor educational facility on the coast of California, and I've been tasked with resurrecting our touch tank that we use with students. Over the past year, I've worked with an aquarium technician to get all the parts replaced/functional, and now I'm entering the process of how to best stock the touch tank and could use some guidance.

For reference, it's about a 75 gallon cold water touch tank. In the past, we had tegula snails, hermit crabs, urchins, bat stars, ochre stars, kelp fish, purple urchins, etc. We use it with students primarily 4th through 8th grade.

1. Recommendations for getting a SCP through the government? I need to get one regardless for stocking kelp and the tegula snails, etc., but I'm not sure if I should try to list other animals (like a gumboot chiton or a giant green anemone) on the permit as well. I work in science education but I'm not a trained scientist, so I'm not sure they'd let me be the principal investigator (we do have a local marine biologist we could list on the permits, but it'd be more convenient not to).

2. Recommendations on where to buy marine inverts? Any ethical retailers?

3. Any species you would or would not recommend?

4. Any feedback/suggestions/thoughts are welcomed. I am very new to this and a little overwhelmed, so I'll happily take any of the guidance I can get.

Thanks in advance!
 
Hi, all,

I work at an outdoor educational facility on the coast of California, and I've been tasked with resurrecting our touch tank that we use with students. Over the past year, I've worked with an aquarium technician to get all the parts replaced/functional, and now I'm entering the process of how to best stock the touch tank and could use some guidance.

For reference, it's about a 75 gallon cold water touch tank. In the past, we had tegula snails, hermit crabs, urchins, bat stars, ochre stars, kelp fish, purple urchins, etc. We use it with students primarily 4th through 8th grade.

1. Recommendations for getting a SCP through the government? I need to get one regardless for stocking kelp and the tegula snails, etc., but I'm not sure if I should try to list other animals (like a gumboot chiton or a giant green anemone) on the permit as well. I work in science education but I'm not a trained scientist, so I'm not sure they'd let me be the principal investigator (we do have a local marine biologist we could list on the permits, but it'd be more convenient not to).

2. Recommendations on where to buy marine inverts? Any ethical retailers?

3. Any species you would or would not recommend?

4. Any feedback/suggestions/thoughts are welcomed. I am very new to this and a little overwhelmed, so I'll happily take any of the guidance I can get.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Matsu Collections is in San Diego. You could contact them.

I’d avoid starfish at the moment - with the wasting disease going on, there aren’t many around and they do poorly.

Jay
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Matsu Collections is in San Diego. You could contact them.

I’d avoid starfish at the moment - with the wasting disease going on, there aren’t many around and they do poorly.

Jay
What wasting disease are you refering to? Is there something going on with starfish recently?
 
Wow I can't believe I haven't heard of this.
It’s awful. We had some sea stars on exhibit for 20+ years and added some new ones before the infection was well known, and we lost almost all of them.
Jay
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new