Eel Bites

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little less than a year ago while cleaning the glass I got bite by a Tessalata Eel. Nailed my pinky fingure on my right hand. I immediately cleaned it out with soap and rubbing alcohol. I will say that it hurt much more than I thought that it would. Everything was fine for almost a week until it swelled up so I took a Z Pack. It opened up and drained and started to heal, but would never fully heal. I kept getting little pockets of puss where it seemed like each of the teeth went in. I put off seeking more medical attention. I would squeeze the puss out and clean it and it would almost heal before repeating the same thing. Well, after 10 months I decided that I needed to go get this non healing wound checked out. So I went and they said here is some cephalexin. I took the pills and seemed like everything opened up and drained, but after another week it just went back to little puss pockets covered by scabs and dead skin. So I went back to the Dr. thinking that I could get some stronger antibiotics, but no he tells me that I have to go to the Orthopedic Surgeon to have surgical debridement done to it. So I go in today thinking that they are going to just like scrub it out really well and I will be all good. WELL.....

No, that unfortunately is not the case!!! So turns out they need to sedate me in the hospital and surgically operate on said figure. Followed by possibly being admitted for IV antibiotics for a few days. They tell me that I cannot return to work (fish store) for 2-4 weeks until it is healed after surgery. As of right now they do not want me putting my hand into any fish tanks at all. They are concerned with Mycobacterium Marinum, which is exactly what it looks like!!!

So... Let that be a lesson to seek medical attention after any type of fish tank wound that shows any sign of infection...

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Tessalata Eel 1 @JaimeAdams 0

All jokes aside take care and hope you get well soon. While not directly related I was diving a wreck one time and scratched my knee somehow on the air planes prop. I didn't think much of it and continued on with the rest of the dives that day. Back at the ship I rinsed it off really well and took it easy the next day. My better half is a nurse so of course she mentioned to really clean it and keep an eye on it, also suggested to not go on the rest of the planned dives. Of course I can't have that so ignored that not going bit and dove some more. Good times until we get back home and the knee regardless of how clean I kept it got a major infection. I too put it off for several weeks then I had both the doc and the nurse telling me I told you so and I shouldn't have waited...

Anyway hope you get well soon and take care of yourself.

OP
OP
JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google Fish Tank Granuloma. It really is no joke. It is rare, but unfortunately this is more than likely what I am dealing with. It can happen from any type of wound getting wet with water with the bacteria in it.

OP
OP
JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There it is in it's current state 11 months after the infection began.

20180508_214429.jpg

OP
OP
JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear that Jamie, do all eels have bites that bad?

Eels in particular have nasty bites. I would say that things like the Tessalata and Morays are the worst, any of the fish eating eels with the large needle like teeth. I would not be as concerned with eels such as snow flakes and zebras that are primarily crustacean eaters. I'm pretty sure at this point that it wasn't exactly the actual eel bite that did it to me that is was the Mycobacterium in the water that actually caused the infection. So basically any cuts/scrapes/punctures can leave your flesh exposed to the bacteria.

OP
OP
JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had surgery this morning on the finger and IV Antibiotics. I now have a nice script for pain pills and heavy antibiotics for the next month and that will be adjusted once the cultures come back.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back