Eel ID?

littlefoxx

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 25, 2022
Messages
12,088
Reaction score
12,241
Location
Denver
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on what this eel is?? Sorry about the stuff floating, LFS water 😂 Ill try to get clearer pictures of it in the DT once it settles. Its a very dark brown with very small speckles all over that look like a light golden dusting almost and golden eyes. Has a white mouth too.



IMG_4187.jpeg

IMG_4188.jpeg

IMG_4189.jpeg
 
Better view of her face. Sorry about the foggy acrylic, dang cleaner got delayed in the mail 😑 Im wondering if shes a chestnut moray? Shes 3 years old according to the LFS owner. Shes probably 10-12 inches long.



IMG_4214.jpeg

IMG_4217.jpeg
 
Might be a Gymnothorax miliaris or a golden tail Moray
That is one of the kinds I was thinking too but shes really small for her age which made me wonder if she was a chestnut moray based on size. Could be her previous owner wasnt feeding her enough. Shes really pretty though, Ill see if I can fatten her up. Shouldnt be an issue considering how fat my other eels are 😂
 
i second golden tail Moray, the yellow tip of the tail and spotting on the body matches
Yeah the spotting is interesting cause its not as gold as the online pictures. But that just could be because shes really really small for a 3 year old moray
 
That is one of the kinds I was thinking too but shes really small for her age which made me wonder if she was a chestnut moray based on size. Could be her previous owner wasnt feeding her enough. Shes really pretty though, Ill see if I can fatten her up. Shouldnt be an issue considering how fat my other eels are 😂
She could be stunted due to poor diet or tank conditions, I feel as though her head is a little too short and thick to be a Chestnut Moray, but it's a little hard to tell from the photos so I can't say for sure. I hope she does well in your tank!
 
She could be stunted due to poor diet or tank conditions, I feel as though her head is a little too short and thick to be a Chestnut Moray, but it's a little hard to tell from the photos so I can't say for sure. I hope she does well in your tank!
the head almost reminds me of grey face morays with their cute stubby faces
 
She could be stunted due to poor diet or tank conditions, I feel as though her head is a little too short and thick to be a Chestnut Moray, but it's a little hard to tell from the photos so I can't say for sure. I hope she does well in your tank!
Me too! The LFS held onto her for a month for me and finally got her to eat. I hope I can fatten her up! And Ill get better pictures of her on my build thread when I figure out how to clean the outside of this acrylic tank and get the haze taken care of! Its very persistent. Not scratched just hazy on the outside
 
Bump? @Jay Hemdal any idea on what this eel might be?
Sorry pics aren’t clear enough for me. Collection location can be important.
I see indications of a gold tail moray - they can be variable in color.
 
Sorry pics aren’t clear enough for me. Collection location can be important.
I see indications of a gold tail moray - they can be variable in color.
Ill try to get a better picture of her, this dang acrylic is driving me nuts. (If you have any tips for cleaning and scraping acrylic I would love to hear it!) The LFS owner ordered her a couple years ago as a miscellaneous moray eel. She doesnt remember where the collection location was. A customer then bought her and had her for 3 or so years then returned her to the store. I have her now
 
White bucket for better pictures.
@Slocke and other eel peeps?



IMG_4190.jpeg

IMG_4191.jpeg

IMG_4194.jpeg

IMG_4193.jpeg

IMG_4192.jpeg
Awesome looking eel!! Though the descriptions of it did catch me off guard.

If its not a gold tail then I believe theres a chance that it may be one of these:

Echidna delicatula: it does look similar to mine especially that yellow eyes.

Echidna peli: according to the spots which you described.

Echidna nocturna: this also does look similar.

These are my common assumptions based on the actual image of the eel besides that yellow marking at the end of the tail, though the face structure does give out gold tail.
 
Awesome looking eel!! Though the descriptions of it did catch me off guard.

If its not a gold tail then I believe theres a chance that it may be one of these:

Echidna delicatula: it does look similar to mine especially that yellow eyes.

Echidna peli: according to the spots which you described.

Echidna nocturna: this also does look similar.

These are my common assumptions based on the actual image of the eel besides that yellow marking at the end of the tail, though the face structure does give out gold tail.
I dont think she is a pebble tooth species, shes got the heat shape of a gymnothorax moray. This is a picture of her peaking out from the top down. None of those images look like her, to include the golden tail! Thats why Im like what are you little eel 😂 shes settled very well though. She is only about 12 inches long, allegedly 3 years old according to LFS. Small for an adult eel for sure



IMG_4300.jpeg

IMG_4301.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new