eel species selection?

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of sharp toothed gymnothorax moray eel would you recommend for a 240 gallon and that’s compatible with antennata lionfish and scorpionfish and the eel not being overly aggressive and that doesn't grow TOO large. The common price is also not exceeding $200 and isn't really rare to find or anything. And being hardy and isn't TOO hard to care for.
And does not have TOO messy feeding habits and doesn't have a huge bioload like for example the green moray does

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of sharp toothed gymnothorax moray eel would you recommend for a 240 gallon and that’s compatible with antennata lionfish and scorpionfish and the eel not being overly aggressive and that doesn't grow TOO large. The common price is also not exceeding $200 and isn't really rare to find or anything. And being hardy and isn't TOO hard to care for.
And does not have TOO messy feeding habits and doesn't have a huge bioload like for example the green moray does

my dwarf golden morey is awesome... but probably to small for you tank

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how about a chain link or zebra:)

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G. miliaris would be a good choice. They range in color (and corresponding price).

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't recommend fang tooth eels with lionfish and scorps; these fish are too slow moving and sedentary. The habits of lions and scorps make it too tempting for a fang tooth eel to pass up. I've only seen very bad results when attempted with lions. Any fang tooth, with the exception of the dwarf golden and similar, will become a handful when mature.

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't recommend fang tooth eels with lionfish and scorps; these fish are too slow moving and sedentary. The habits of lions and scorps make it too tempting for a fang tooth eel to pass up. I've only seen very bad results when attempted with lions. Any fang tooth, with the exception of the dwarf golden and similar, will become a handful when mature.
well yes the bigger ones do seem a little big and beasty but what do u think about the black edge moray or the yellowhead moray they dont look too big

well i do like the whitemouth, miliaris and the jeweled moray too
are any of these ok?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation would be a zebra. Very beautiful and peaceful with the traditional Moray look but I know not a fang tooth.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well yes the bigger ones do seem a little big and beasty but what do u think about the black edge moray or the yellowhead moray they dont look too big

well i do like the whitemouth, miliaris and the jeweled moray too
are any of these ok?

Black edge and yellow heads are down right vicious, the jeweled a bit less so, with the goldentails(miliaris) being the most tame of the bunch. These eels still need to be kept with tough, aggressive fish on the order of triggers, large angels, groupers, and only the beefiest tangs. Please don't get misled by reports of model citizens that are young, immature specimens. When any of these fang tooths mature, they are a beast to reckoned with if kept with the wrong tank mates. I stick to my reports about the lions, I've seen my fair share of lions being killed by these small fang tooths. If you are set with lions and scorps and want to add an eel; a pebble tooth would be a safer bet. I kept a ribbon eel with my lions and they could pose no threat, although these eels are very difficult to keep. I keep eels, lions, and scorps; but will never keep a fang tooth with my lions and scorps.

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black edge and yellow heads are down right vicious, the jeweled a bit less so, with the goldentails(miliaris) being the most tame of the bunch. These eels still need to be kept with tough, aggressive fish on the order of triggers, large angels, groupers, and only the beefiest tangs. Please don't get misled by reports of model citizens that are young, immature specimens. When any of these fang tooths mature, they are a beast to reckoned with if kept with the wrong tank mates. I stick to my reports about the lions, I've seen my fair share of lions being killed by these small fang tooths. If you are set with lions and scorps and want to add an eel; a pebble tooth would be a safer bet. I kept a ribbon eel with my lions and they could pose no threat, although these eels are very difficult to keep. I keep eels, lions, and scorps; but will never keep a fang tooth with my lions and scorps.
ok then the chainlink seems good
are there any blunt toot in the gymnothorax genus or any suitable one from that genus if not chainlink then

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king so on an aquarium discord server someone reported to find a large gash on his volitan lionfish in his 125 gal he has a couple of butterflyfish i think and an angelfish with it and a black edge moray this actually happened today and his lionfish died a couple of hours later RIP :(
so he knew it was the moray cuz of bacteria infections on the gash/ bit marks the eel tried to get a hold of the lion this scared me so for my tank ive decided on the chainlink moray
he sold the eel after

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jeweled moray with a couple of damsels. He didnt phase when the damsels would swim by his head and I figured I got a nice one. One day one damsel was gone and then one had a huge bite out of it. Not so nice after all...I would be careful with any fanged moray with any other fish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king so on an aquarium discord server someone reported to find a large gash on his volitan lionfish in his 125 gal he has a couple of butterflyfish i think and an angelfish with it and a black edge moray this actually happened today and his lionfish died a couple of hours later RIP :(
so he knew it was the moray cuz of bacteria infections on the gash/ bit marks the eel tried to get a hold of the lion this scared me so for my tank ive decided on the chainlink moray
he sold the eel after

The butterflys will be next, and the angel likely to follow unless its a larger more aggressive angel. The 125g will eventually too small for the angels that can hang with a black edge.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jeweled moray with a couple of damsels. He didnt phase when the damsels would swim by his head and I figured I got a nice one. One day one damsel was gone and then one had a huge bite out of it. Not so nice after all...I would be careful with any fanged moray with any other fish.

Damsels are an interesting choice of tank mates for a fang tooth. The damsels are very elusive and many times the moray will just stop chasing them, providing of course they are fed well on a strict schedule. They will obviously still take an easy opportunity for a healthy live snack. Im not opposed to live feeding, so a few colorful blue damsels swimming with a jeweled, can be an interesting tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back