eel species selection?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels are an interesting choice of tank mates for a fang tooth. The damsels are very elusive and many times the moray will just stop chasing them, providing of course they are fed well on a strict schedule. They will obviously still take an easy opportunity for a healthy live snack. Im not opposed to live feeding, so a few colorful blue damsels swimming with a jeweled, can be an interesting tank.

I don’t keep him on a strict schedule But he usually tolerated them, I’m sure they got too comfortable haha, I also use the tank as a macro grow out, getting insane growth and love the eel in the weeds!
20E2E64D-62A0-47B5-BD2E-E89222D19EFC.jpeg
60DE6AD7-25B7-495C-A254-AEB8448E4EB3.jpeg
7E798660-2060-4FFE-9FA1-3F131BEE4217.jpeg
C110CC97-0E47-449E-B4A4-12029060E79D.jpeg
931B14FD-9521-4FBB-AC76-9D3B3F416730.jpeg

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The butterflys will be next, and the angel likely to follow unless its a larger more aggressive angel. The 125g will eventually too small for the angels that can hang with a black edge.

he has racoon butterflies i think and 1 coral beauty angelfish and 1 emperor angelfish he already planned on upgrading to a 300G and is already setting up the 300G but for mine i think i like the E. xanthospilos

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he has racoon butterflies i think and 1 coral beauty angelfish and 1 emperor angelfish he already planned on upgrading to a 300G and is already setting up the 300G but for mine i think i like the E. xanthospilos

Good choice, these can be a very good looking eel

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
say.. do u think puffers will nip at lionfish

I have kept numerous arothron puffers with my lions with no issues. I would not keep a valentini though, they are notorious nippers. You have an antennata, right, the puffer will likely come out bad if they did nip. My antennata kiled a filefish that would nip at him.

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept numerous arothron puffers with my lions with no issues. I would not keep a valentini though, they are notorious nippers. You have an antennata, right, the puffer will likely come out bad if they did nip. My antennata kiled a filefish that would nip at him.

I was given the advice to avoid canthigaster puffers like the valentini and bluespot as they are notorious nippers like u said but also to avoid the arothron ones too as they are well big and mean and porc puffers and burrfish are better choices

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given the advice to avoid canthigaster puffers like the valentini and bluespot as they are notorious nippers like u said but also to avoid the arothron ones too as they are well big and mean and porc puffers and burrfish are better choices

My experience is porc puffers can get vety aggressive and are notorious nippers, and I never met one that was not a nipper.

Puffers I have kept with my lions, for years. Two different dogface puffers, dogface puffers are very docile. A stars and stripes which is also usually very tame. And a golden which was never aggressive although I have heard they could be.

If the burrfish you are talking about a spiny box puffer, they can also be nippy but are usually not that bad. The thing about the burrfish, is they can be difficult to feed and most don't have long term success with them.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to the eels the fang tooth type tend to be more aggressive, especially as they get larger. If it fits in the mouth it will be eaten kind of situation. I would do a zebra all the way. Also consider your own safety, the fang tooth would be more likely to grab your hand, and that is not a pleasant thing.

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is porc puffers can get vety aggressive and are notorious nippers, and I never met one that was not a nipper.

Puffers I have kept with my lions, for years. Two different dogface puffers, dogface puffers are very docile. A stars and stripes which is also usually very tame. And a golden which was never aggressive although I have heard they could be.

If the burrfish you are talking about a spiny box puffer, they can also be nippy but are usually not that bad. The thing about the burrfish, is they can be difficult to feed and most don't have long term success with them.
ok thx fro all the help i MIGHT get a manilensis (narrow-lined puffer)
the temperament as listed is mildly aggressive / semi-aggressive and is small for an arothron less then 1'
and looks nice and care lvl seems easy

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to the eels the fang tooth type tend to be more aggressive, especially as they get larger. If it fits in the mouth it will be eaten kind of situation. I would do a zebra all the way. Also consider your own safety, the fang tooth would be more likely to grab your hand, and that is not a pleasant thing.
ok ya i already decided on the E. xanthospilos i might change to E. polyzona but probably not
its a better looking blunt tooth

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back