Eel tank mates help

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be setting up my 150g tank in a week and am looking to have a yellow head eel as yeh centerpiece. I have been researching and I believe that if fed properly and introduced last it will work with larger fish. I’m hoping to have 7-9 fish in the tank.

Im planning to add these fish in this order

1) pair of spotbreat angelfish
2) convict tang and blonde Naso tang
3) harlequin tusk
4)blue throat triggerfish
5)dogface puffer
6) yellow head moray eel

would there be any problems with this setup? I also am planning on trying to keep some corals higher up on the rock work so there is less chance of the eel bumping them down. Any other suggestions or replacements would be appreciated thank you.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't fimbriated eels really aggressive? I'm not sure that I would keep it with any fish that I cared about.

Any eel folks around? @lion king maybe?

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow headed moray is also a pretty vague common name... there are many species of eels with yellow heads. The one I'm familiar with, Gymnothorax rueppellii, is one of the most aggressive morays I've dealt with. I wouldn't trust it with anything I cared about like nereefpat said.

OP
OP
TommyDelaney

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beleive the one I’m looking at is the Fimbriated moray. I have read that they are aggressive but if they are fed consistently they shouldn’t attack large fish. I just was wondering if anyone has had experience with them.

is there any other eels you would recommend for that list? I’ve looked at zebra eels and they just get too big. If there are any less aggressive morays those suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, moray eels in the genus Echidna tend to be more fish safe because they are pebble tooth - they prefer to eat crustaceans like crabs. The genus includes the skeletor eel, snowflake eel, and the barred moray eel. There are other genus with pebble tooth moray eels, which tend to be also more fish safe - like the one the zebra eel belongs to.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think anything but the tangs are aggressive enough to try.

Everyone I've seen is crazy aggressive. You cant keep it well fed 24/7 & eels like that are prone to feeding frenzy freakouts when stimulated.

Personally I like the chainlink & skeletor out the smaller pebble tooths. More mellow sharp tooths I'm not sure about

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank y’all for all the replies I think I’ll look into the chainlink and skeletor ones
Do either have any special care requirements

I'm glad you changed your thoughts towards those two, no special requirements other than the special requirements afforded to all eels, so do your research on housing and feeding.

The fimbriated is a very deadly eel, none of the fish on your list could handle their aggression. The only fish I would even dare risk with one would be large aggressive triggers and large aggressive angels in a larger than 180g tank. I've even seen them take down 10" tangs in 180g plus tanks, so i wouldn't even put a tang in with them.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank y’all for all the replies I think I’ll look into the chainlink and skeletor ones
Do either have any special care requirements

Nothing special at all easy as they come. I have a chainlink myself but its a toss up looks wise to me. They'll work great with your stock list.

Feeding adult chainlink

Adult skeletor

My juvie chain
20200118_235105.jpg

Last edited:

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now if your dead set on a gymnothorax. Look into a miliaris. My buddy had a yellow one that was hard to get food to it docile. Get your wallet ready though.

OP
OP
TommyDelaney

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now if your dead set on a gymnothorax. Look into a miliaris. My buddy had a yellow one that was hard to get food to it docile. Get your wallet ready though.
I am new to big tanks and am looking to keep large fish that I wouldn’t have been able to before. I had just been browsing on the internet for ones I thought looked cool but I am Definetly glad I brought it to here first. I think the chainlink is my favorite of the mentioned ones so far so thank you for the suggestions.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to big tanks and am looking to keep large fish that I wouldn’t have been able to before. I had just been browsing on the internet for ones I thought looked cool but I am Definetly glad I brought it to here first. I think the chainlink is my favorite of the mentioned ones so far so thank you for the suggestions.

Its perfect for what you're wanting.

Advice on stocking.
Look for an aussie tusk
Try to get a male blue throat trigger they have the colors.
Maybe rethink your tang picks. Convicts can be pretty tough to thrive & naso need pretty big tanks to act right. Check out a powder brown it has a naso type look but more manageable tank tank requirements. Purple & powder blue are my favorites

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Another tip........ research will offer many different scenarios. Bear in mind a couple of things with fish that you listed:
Your eel needs to be fed and these fish will out compete with eel for food.
Also in the event of infection or disease, the eel is scaleless ant will need to be treated separately and differently for cure

BugXprt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had aggressive fish tanks, and Nano reef, now have mixed eel tank. I can offer advice about those triggers, I've had most, and I have a Tesselata, zebra, and jewel morey, had a Brazilian banana eel too. Just FYI, skullreefer on YT if you want tosre

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept Damsels with my Fimby. Colorful, provide movement, and can easily escape into crevices. Once eel was large enough they were ignored completely. Fimby was well fed- whole squid, octopus chunks, salmon strips. A buddies tank sprang a leak and he was desperate to find tanks to house his fish. I warned him what the end result would likely be but he put a yellow tang in the Fimbies tank. It didn't last 10 minutes.

013.jpg~original

005.jpg~original

BugXprt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, I'm interested in that eel to, Yellowheaded morey. I wish I had room. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_7672.MP4
    12.9 MB

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back